According to IDC Semiannual China Public Cloud Service Tracker, 2018 H1, Alibaba Cloud is the leader in China's market for infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) and platform-as-a-service (PaaS). Alibaba Cloud knows what it takes to be successful in this market. China Gateway is one of Alibaba Cloud’s flagship solutions that helps customers in all sectors to tap into and scale up in China. Download our eBook “Building a China-Ready Business” to learn more.Download China Gateway eBook
- Testing the Waters
- Exploring the Market
- Scaling Up in China
- All In
Lean Operations – No China Offices
- - Companies that are just starting to dabble in doing business with China
- - Providing services from their home country
- - Have online users in China or only have an agent in China
- Speeding up web-browsing ensures that their digital products and services are providing an excellent experience for users and their teams can access the information they need.
Limited Operations – Small China Presence
- - Enterprises based in their home country but have people on the ground in China, such as an R&D branch or an outsourcing team
- - Enterprises with a China branch looking to create a Cloud Exchange Connection
- - Ramping up business in China
- - Need global DevOps
- - Cross-border operations that enable remote employee access, remote DevOps, remote data transfer and secure access to branch offices
- - ICP filing and license consulting
Fully Operational – Have Registered Company in China
- - Scaling up in China
- - Integrate consumer-oriented real-time services, such as IoT or O2O
- - Rely on resources spread across multiple countries, such as in the case of cross-border commerce
- - ICP filing and license consulting
- - Real-time access for all consumers
- - Latency, stability sensitivity, connect to the closest data center
- - Cloud Data Recovery
Why Choose Us
According to IDC Semiannual China Public Cloud Service Tracker, 2018 H1, Alibaba Cloud is the leader in China's market for infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) and platform-as-a-service (PaaS) with a 43% market share in China in the first half of 2018.
Extensive Network Coverage
Alibaba Cloud has 8 regions of data centers in China and more than 1,500 CDN nodes connected by a multi-line BGP backbone network. Plus, we offer 19 data center regions, including the first public cloud data center regions in the Middle East (Dubai) and Indonesia, and also covering Asia, North America, Europe, and Australia, etc.
Applying for an ICP license can be a complicated process. Alibaba Cloud is well-experienced at helping international companies to connecting to digital China, and our professional ICP consulting support our professional ICP consulting support is just a click away.
Alibaba Cloud has a proven track record in providing high-performance. This includes processing up to 325,000 orders a second during “Double 11”, the world's largest e-commerce festival and hosting the railway ticket site 12306.cn, which records up to 150 billion page views a day leading up to the Chinese Spring Festival.
Alibaba Cloud's security products are providing services for 1 million organizations. We have set records in preventing 50% of large-scale DDoS attacks (over 50Gbps) in China and our Anti-DDoS product has set the bar high against password decoding and against the web attacks.
China Gateway Program
The China Gateway Program is an effort designed to help enterprises in all sectors to tap into and scale up in China. From market, policy, and business insights to navigating new regulations. Leverage Alibaba Cloud's expertise and resources.
The China Gateway program offers 24/7 support in addition to online and offline events throughout the year that give you the help needed to succeed.
Stay ahead of the game with market, technology, and regulation trends in China. Get assistance navigating the IT and data requirements needed to thrive in China.
With data centers in all major worldwide regions and the best coverage in China, Alibaba Cloud's coverage internationally is continuously expanding.
What Our Customers Say
There is no doubt that they (Alibaba Cloud) are one of the leading players for international companies looking for a reliable hosting solution for mainland China.
While many of our clients already had a website in simplified Chinese before they started using our solution, these websites could simply not be accessed from within Mainland China due to local Internet regulations. That’s where Alibaba Cloud helped. And our clients are now achieving fast loading time for their websites in China.” Learn More
We have found that Alibaba Cloud’s DNS is more reliable than any other DNS service provider in China and the U.S. In fact, our service availability with the number of mobile carriers has increased significantly from 50% to 200% after switching to Alibaba Cloud.
As BorderX Lab caters to a global audience, we required a robust IT infrastructure to connect consumers with merchants while managing different applications running in multiple data centers across countries. Alibaba Cloud is well established, reliable and they understood exactly our infrastructure needs as an e-commerce company. Also, the global presence of Alibaba Cloud, especially its strong presence in China, was one of the primary reasons we chose Alibaba Cloud. Learn More
There were two things that impressed me the most. One thing is the smooth ICP application process Alibaba Cloud provides. The other thing is the CDN service. According to my benchmark result, Alibaba Cloud wins on the number of edge servers, average response time, average download speed in all major ISPs and provinces.
As an international website building platform, obtaining an ICP license for China is very important to our users. The actual process of obtaining an ICP license though is quite complex. With Alibaba Cloud’s built-in and easy-to-follow ICP application process, it has helped with our user experience a lot. Also, we switched from another CDN provider to Alibaba Cloud because the previous CDN network was a bit spotty and can be slow sometimes in some areas. Learn More
We can now offer on average a 20x performance improvement over the regular Internet for China users, and without Alibaba Cloud’s presence in the different metropolitan areas, this would not be possible. The Alibaba Cloud footprint also offers a more stable infrastructure between China and other regions that we’ve seen with other cloud providers.
Our goal is to provide a peak user experience across any geography, ultimately benefiting customer retention and revenue for our customers. To enable this, we need to be able to deploy our GCN as close as possible to our customers’ end-users. As international business to and from China increases, we therefore required a cloud service provider partner with a local presence in China and also could offer a service in other geographies. Alibaba Cloud met both requirements. Learn More
Events and Resources
Can’t make it to our offline event? Join our China Gateway Summit Livestream.
Join Alibaba Cloud and Deloitte for an executive briefing on China Gateway strategy.
Explore Web Hosting solutions that can power your personal website or empower your online business.
Obtain an ICP Filing or ICP Commercial License to host your website in Mainland China.
A deep dive into ICP and regulatory compliance to internet infrastructure and the skills gap, etc.
A practical and action-oriented piece about hitting the ground, implementing tactics and making impact.
- 1. How to make “Innovate at the speed of China” possible?
- Operating in China would require you to be ready to innovate your business model regularly. Hence, it's imperative for you to work with a partner that has an open and innovative cloud platform with plenty of API & SDK of AI, IoT, and Big Data analytics capabilities – allowing you to deploy cutting edge technology at an incredibly fast pace.
You don't have to look far for such a partner. An estuary of the Alibaba Group, Alibaba Cloud leverages its ecosystem, experience and technological capabilities to give you access to APIs and a comprehensive portfolio of products and services that have stood the through the test of time in China.
- 2. What are the advantages of hosting in Mainland China?
- Hosting in China is the best option to reduce latency and improve load speed. Load speed is crucial anywhere in the world and especially in a mobile-centric market such as China. In addition, hosting a website in China will improve search engine visibility. Chinese search engines typically rank websites hosted in Mainland China higher than those that are not.
- 3. Is ICP filing and license a must-have for operating a website in China?
- An ICP filing and license are two different matters in China. As long as you want a website to be hosted on a server in China, an ICP filing is mandatory. And if you want to make this website into a commercial one (i.e. to let it directly generate revenue), you’ll need to apply for ICP license. Alibaba Cloud is experienced at helping international companies connect to digital China, and our professional ICP consulting support our professional ICP consulting support is just a click away.
- 4. Is compliance a complicated issue to operate in China?
- Operating in China comes with the worry of complying with its regulations and policies. The fact is, China has 8 different laws that are related for private limited companies. On June 1, 2017, China’s Cybersecurity Law went into effect - marking an important milestone in China’s efforts to create strict guidelines on cyber governance. By finding a local partner that has a thorough understanding of the Chinese regulations, it could make it much easier for you to navigate through these waters. For partners of Alibaba Cloud, who has the most comprehensive compliance solutions in the Asia Pacific, compliance should not be a worry.
- 5. Do I need a Chinese domain name for my China website? What are the requirements?
- A Chinese (.cn) domain is optional and is not required to host in Mainland China. Purchasing a Chinese domain (.cn) is straightforward, as it requires only passport identification. A Chinese domain name application takes approximately 2-3 days to process and can be purchased from Alibaba Cloud.
- 6. Is the Internet slow in China?
- As China has a large population with fewer peering points than that of the U.S and Europe, this creates backlogs and may lead to slower Internet speed. China’s 710+ million Internet users are dispersed over vast distances and certain rural areas still rely on 2G networks. To overcome these connectivity barriers, Alibaba Cloud has seven data center regions in-country, with multiple availability zones in each region, as well as 1,000+ CDN nodes across Mainland China to provide network bandwidth peak at 200 Mbps.
- 7. Can users within Mainland China access my overseas-hosted website?
- Your website should be accessible in Mainland China but may face constraints in regards to latency, unavailability, and limited SEO visibility depending on the location of where your website is hosted.
- 8. We are worried about affecting users in the U.S. if we switch our website hosting to China. Do you have a recommended solution?
- A popular solution for companies wishing to serve multiple markets from one location is to host in Hong Kong. Hong Kong has low setup requirements and provides effective coverage for Mainland China and international regions. An alternative is to continue hosting in the U.S. and deliver your website to China via a Content Delivery Network (CDN). CDN offers a high-performance caching network to speed up your website delivery and manage spikes in traffic. Finally, there is the option of hosting your website in Mainland China or Hong Kong and linking to CDN nodes in the U.S. To deploy your website on a hosting server or CDN located in Mainland China, you will first need to obtain an ICP license.