This article is a quick reference guide for common features of Alibaba Cloud ECS instances and resources. It offers solutions for such scenarios as connecting to an instance, resizing a disk, upgrading or downgrading configurations, and using snapshots or images.
Operation instructions and limits
Create and manage ECS instancesBasic operations
- Create an ECS instance.
- Connect to the ECS instance. Depending on the operating system running on your ECS instance and your actual scenario, use one of the following methods:
- For any type of operating system, use the Management Terminal for scenarios involving troubleshooting and maintenance.
- For Linux or Unix-like OSs, you can connect to a Linux instance by using a password, or connect to a Linux instance by using an SSH key pair.
- For Windows OSs, you can connect to a Windows instance.
- Stop the ECS instance.
- Release the instance.
To use an ECS instance, follow these steps:Change configurations
You can change the instance type, IP addresses, and network bandwidth of your instance.
- Subscription instances: Upgrade configurations of Subscription instances or renew for configuration downgrade
If the current operating system no longer meets your business needs, you can change the operating system.Billing
You can use the following features to refine your management of and control over ECS instances:
Create and manage cloud disksBasic operations
To use a cloud disk as a data disk, follow these steps:
- Create a cloud disk.
- Attach a cloud disk.
- (Linux) Format and mount a data disk or (Windows) Format a data disk.
- Create snapshots to back up data.
- Detach a cloud disk.
- Release a cloud disk.
To adjust the capacity of your system disks or data disks, you can increase the system disk size or resize the data disks. For more information about resizing a data disk, see Linux _ Resize a data disk and Windows _ Resize a data disk.Manage data on a cloud disk
If data errors occur on a cloud disk, you can use a snapshot to roll back a cloud disk and restore data.
If you want to restore a cloud disk to its initial status after it is created, you can reinitialize a cloud disk.
If you want to copy data on an existing cloud disk to a new, empty cloud disk, you can create a cloud disk from a snapshot.
Create and manage snapshotsBasic operations
To use a snapshot, follow these steps:
- Create a snapshot by using either of the following methods:
- View a snapshot chain.
- Delete unnecessary snapshots to reduce charges and free disk space
Create and manage custom images
Only custom images can be operated in the ECS console.
You can run a custom image by using the following methods:
- Create a custom image using a snapshot
- Create a custom image by using an instance
- Use Packer to create a custom image
- Copy custom images across different regions.
- Share custom images across different accounts.
- Import custom images
- Create and import custom images stored on an on-premises server by using Packer
You can also export custom images to back up your environment and delete custom images when they are no longer required.
Create and manage security groupsBasic operations
To use a security group, follow these steps:
- Create a Security Group.
- Add security group rules.
- Add to or remove from a security group
- Delete a security group rule.
- Delete a security group.
To simplify business deployment, you can clone a security group across regions or network types.
If new security group rules disrupt your online business application, you can restore security group rules fully or partially.
Create and manage SSH key pairs
To use an SSH key pair, follow these steps:
Create and manage ENIs
To use an ENI, follow these steps:
You can apply tags to group resources for easier resource organization. To use tags, follow these steps: