If an Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instance in the classic network or in a virtual private cloud (VPC) is assigned a public IP address, you can change the IP address within 6 hours after the instance is created.
The ECS instance whose public IP address you want to change meets the following requirements:
- The instance is in the Stopped state. Note If the billing method of an instance is pay-as-you-go and the network type of the instance is VPC, you must enable the standard mode for the instance when you stop the instance. If you enable the economical mode for the instance, the Change Public IP Address option is not displayed in the ECS console.
- The instance is assigned a public IP address.
- The instance is less than 6 hours old.
Note If the instance does not meet one of the preceding requirements, the Change Public IP Address option is not displayed in the ECS console.
The following limits apply when you change the public IP address of an ECS instance:
- You can change the public IP address of an instance up to three times within 6 hours after the instance is created. Note After 6 hours of instance creation, instances in VPCs (excluding subscription instances that use the pay-by-bandwidth billing method for network usage) can have their public IP addresses converted into elastic IP addresses (EIPs) and then have the IP addresses changed. For more information, see Convert the public IP address of an instance in a VPC to an EIP.
- The operations described in this topic are not applicable to an instance that is not assigned a public IP address. In this case, you can use one of the following methods to assign a public IP address (system-assigned public IP address or elastic IP address) to the instance:
- Apply for and associate an elastic IP address (EIP) with the instance. For more information, see Apply for an EIP of EIP documentation.
- Modify the public bandwidth of the instance to allocate a system-assigned public IP address. For information about how to perform this operation on subscription instances, see Overview of instance configuration changes. For information about how to perform this operation on pay-as-you-go instances, see Modify the bandwidth configurations of pay-as-you-go instances.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- In the top navigation bar, select a region.
- Find the instance whose public IP address you want to change. Choose .
- In the Change Public IP Address dialog box, click Start Now. If the public IP address of the instance is changed, a new public IP address is displayed in the dialog box.
- Click OK.