"Alibaba Cloud's products and services are able to react to traffic spikes effectively, having the elasticity and scalability required to handle traffic fluctuations with ease. With Alibaba Cloud's capabilities, Ismaya is confident that Alibaba Cloud can meet its requirement to organize the Djakarta Warehouse Project virtually and offer its visitors a pleasurable experience."
Held by lifestyle brand leader Ismaya Group, Djakarta Warehouse Project (DWP) is an annual event that combines the world's most sought-after EDM names and DWP's signature world-class production to deliver an exciting, diverse festival. Run every December since 2010, the festival has broken various world records, and in 2019 drew more than 90,000 attendees from over 30 countries across three days.02
When the coronavirus pandemic hit in 2020, DWP elected to shift its program online and aimed to maintain its world-class standing by bringing the best of its offline 2-days experience to digital. Known for being one of the biggest EDM festivals and from past experiences, DWP realized that the virtual festival would attract many people from all over the world. DWP needs to provide a high-quality experience for each visitor, and this meant using a technology stack that could fulfill demanding scalability, agility, and stability requirements.
Their preparation was right as the festival received 120,000 registrations in 2020 – their first virtual festival. The event's online platform had to handle large fluctuations in traffic as not all visitors would join the event at the same time, and the number of visitors could increase dramatically during peak hours.03
Why Alibaba Cloud
DWP was looking for a partner who not only understands their problem, but also understands the market. As a global cloud provider, Alibaba Cloud has a strong presence in Indonesia with three word-class local data centers ensuring robust, powerful connections, and offers flexible scaling capabilities that enable the dynamic provisioning and deprovisioning of cloud resources based on workload demands. Alibaba Cloud also offers numerous innovative solutions that help reduce the time and personnel required to manage IT infrastructure. In Indonesia, Alibaba Cloud has helped numerous local businesses across a range of industry verticals, including public services.
In addition, it provides high availability of 99.95% uptime guarantee backed by service-level agreements (SLAs). Alibaba Cloud products and services have the elasticity and scalability required to handle traffic spikes with ease. These capabilities gave DWP confidence the cloud provider could meet the organization’s requirements in organizing and running the virtual festival, with its services enabling visitors to enjoy the event.04
How Alibaba Cloud Helped DWP
Alibaba Cloud offers a comprehensive cloud computing architecture that comprises a range of products and services to help DWP deliver the best online festival experience:
• Elastic Compute Service (ECS) is a high-performance, stable, reliable, and scalable IaaS-level service provided by Alibaba Cloud. ECS eliminates the need for upfront investments in IT hardware and allows users to scale computing resources on demand. This makes ECS instances more convenient and efficient than physical servers. ECS provides a variety of instance types that suit various business needs and helps boost business growth.
• Server Load Balancer (SLB) is a service that distributes network traffic across groups of backend servers to increase the throughput of applications. Users can employ SLB to prevent service disruptions caused by single points of failure (SPOFs) and improve the availability of applications.
• Object Storage Service (OSS) is a secure, cost-effective, and high-durability cloud storage service provided by Alibaba Cloud. It enables users to store large amounts of data in the cloud and is designed for 99.9999999999% (twelve 9's) data durability and 99.995% service availability.
• Alibaba Cloud CDN is a virtual network that consists of globally distributed edge nodes. Alibaba Cloud CDN reduces loads on origin servers to prevent network congestion. Users can use Alibaba Cloud CDN to accelerate content delivery for websites in different regions or scenarios. Alibaba Cloud CDN provides more than 2,800 globally distributed edge nodes more than 2,300 of which are distributed across 31 provincial regions in mainland China and more than 500 distributed across over 70 countries and regions, including Hong Kong (China), Macao (China), and Taiwan (China). The total bandwidth capacity of Alibaba Cloud CDN can reach up to 150 Tbit/s.
• ApsaraDB RDS is a stable, reliable, and scalable online database service that is built on top of the Apsara Distributed File System and high-performance SSDs of Alibaba Cloud. ApsaraDB RDS supports the MySQL SQL Server, PostgreSQL, and MariaDB TX database engines and provides a portfolio of solutions for disaster recovery, backup, restoration, monitoring, and migration to facilitate database O&M.
• Auto Scaling is a management service that automatically adjusts the number of elastic computing resources based on business demands and policies. When business loads increase, Auto Scaling automatically adds ECS instances to ensure sufficient computing capabilities. When business loads decrease, Auto Scaling automatically removes ECS instances to save costs. It is suitable for applications with fluctuating or stable business loads.05
Customer expectations are higher than ever and companies are raising the bar and redefining what experiences should be. Over the past two years, Alibaba Cloud has successfully helped DWP provide a seamless experience to visitors and maintain the quality for which the festival is known. While Alibaba Cloud takes care of the technical process to ensure the best experiences for the visitors, DWP can continue to innovate and develop the festival. Working with Alibaba Cloud enables DWP to focus on visitors and how to create exceptional interactions with them.