It's Time to Modify AI Before it Changes the World

AI is an energy behind the technological transition that mankind is going through. It provides an opportunity for benefits and revolutionizing applications in various fields. However, one of the most ignored artificial intelligence challenges is the lack of diversity in the industry. If we continue on the current course, we risk losing out on insights that might form the most significant answers to the issues we confront in the coming decade.

This is an urgent requirement. In 2019, women made up less than 14 percent of AI analysis writers on the preprint service arXiv. East Asia, European, and North American academics produced 86 percent of papers at AI seminars in 2018; scholars from Latin America, the Middle East, the Caribbean, North Africa, South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa accounted for the other 14 percent. In 2020, Black Americans represented 1.7 percent of technical jobs in the US.

AI-powered systems and products have the potential to succeed or even build up centuries-old human biases, blind spots and prejudices. For instance, due to skewed training data, algorithms designed to detect skin cancer may fail to detect prospective cases in individuals with darker skin. An AI system for forecasting renal function decrease was far more accurate in male patients than in female ones. Simultaneously, we've discovered the potential for AI to be utilized to make a beneficial difference on earth, addressing difficulties in medicine, climate and health care research.

Artificial Intelligence Transformation

We have reached a tipping point. AI's importance grows, but so does the representation and participation of a diverse range of academics in the area. We must seize this opportunity to build systems that will promote long-term, constructive change. One mechanism or fast cure will not accomplish this. It begins with early schooling and progresses through existing power structures inside academia, employment cultures among present AI analysts, and gatekeeping roles of analysis publishing, to mention a few change levers.

Institutions, researchers and publishers can improve inclusion in the artificial intelligence community by tackling the following issues:

For Educational Institutions;

● Who is the primary beneficiary of the institutions' financing, recognition and support?
● Do they publish demographic information on who they employ and promote at their institutions?
● Do they expect professors from underrepresented groups to carry out most of the diversity efforts within specific departments?
● Is it possible to motivate multidisciplinary research that promotes cooperation among people with diverse ideas, experiences and viewpoints?

For Publishers;

● Are they actively seeking perspectives on research areas that haven't yet been addressed?
● Can they guarantee that your peer experts reflect a diverse range of life experiences and specialties, such as ethicists and sociologists, who may provide an understanding of the social implications of the study under consideration for publication?
● Can they make room for a voice from a particular group to comment if you're publishing something that may have a detrimental influence on that group?
● Can they prioritize Trans disciplinary research publication?

For Artificial Intelligence Researchers;

● Can they work with researchers with different skill sets and viewpoints than you?
● Can they help ensure that researchers from underrepresented groups receive equitable credit and recognition?
● When you attend or organize seminars, workshops, or conferences, do they think about diversity and inclusion?
● Can they investigate how unconscious bias may impact employment, admissions, or influence other choices?


Many areas of our environment are evolving as a result of AI research. It's a wonderful honor to be a part of such a fulfilling and significant industry. With that privilege comes the need to spread its advantages as widely as possible. This entails distributing the chance to innovate to a larger, more diverse group of individuals. It involves bringing a greater range of ideas and experiences to bear on the issues. Above all, it means ensuring that the impact of their work is beneficial for everyone, not just the lucky few.

Related Articles

Explore More Special Offers

  1. Short Message Service(SMS) & Mail Service

    50,000 email package starts as low as USD 1.99, 120 short messages start at only USD 1.00

phone Contact Us