Nathant089
Intern
Intern
  • UID8157
  • Fans0
  • Follows0
  • Posts2
Reads:37174Replies:3

How to whitelist Wordpress website in Mainland China?

Created#
More Posted time:Oct 17, 2019 8:41 AM
Hi Team,

I am wanting to spin up a Wordpress website on Alibaba Cloud and have some questions around whitelisting my website in Mainland China.

1. Does my Wordpress site need to be hosted in Mainland China for it to be whitelisted inside the firewall?
2. Do I need to submit my website for review and approval to the Chinese government and if so where?

Thank you in advance,
Nathan.

afzaalvirgoboy
Intern
Intern
  • UID6091
  • Fans0
  • Follows0
  • Posts37
1st Reply#
Posted time:Oct 17, 2019 17:18 PM
Hi Nathan!

1. Yes, and no. Great Firewall also intervenes with internal web services too. (If you want to host the website in China then this would be a mandatory requirement)

See here to understand how this works and how it can affect your business in China, Great Firewal. At Alibaba Cloud, we offer an ICP licensing service that helps you with the registration with government and getting your business (especially the domain and IP addresses) whitelisted for future references. Don't take my word, it is really a 6-step process and you will be done in no time, plus, Alibaba Cloud infrastructure will help you deploy your services in the most optimal region based on your user base.

Benefit? We have had some cases at Alibaba Cloud where customers did not even need to go through the licensing as our globally distributed network helped them deliver their services to customers across globe, you can look into these services, such as Alibaba Cloud CDN.

For the second answer, I have already provided you with the link that can help you have your website and other business credentials approved quickly.

Also, go through this China Gateway service that can help you with everything that you might need to plan, develop and deploy your services on Alibaba Cloud.

Nathant089
Intern
Intern
  • UID8157
  • Fans0
  • Follows0
  • Posts2
2nd Reply#
Posted time:Oct 21, 2019 17:14 PM
Hi afzaalvirgoboy,

Is there an English website to apply for an ICP license? Or it is just in Chinese?
If it's only in Chinese, can an Alibaba representative assist in applying for one?

In addition, does the website need to be in Chinese to be granted an ICP license? Or can it just be in English (if that is my audience)?

Thank you for your time,
Nathan.

afzaalvirgoboy
Intern
Intern
  • UID6091
  • Fans0
  • Follows0
  • Posts37
3rd Reply#
Posted time:Oct 24, 2019 20:23 PM
The website, sadly, is only available in Chinese, read this documentation by Alibaba Cloud to understand the limitations of the ICP Licensing and how to proceed: https://www.alibabacloud.com/help/doc-detail/36890.htm?spm=a2c63.p38356.879954.7.c6566f78w7dJ8N#concept-w3d-nql-zdb.

You can surely reach out to the Alibaba Cloud Sales team and they can guide you through the steps mandatory, https://www.alibabacloud.com/contact-sales.