• Fans0
  • Follows0
  • Posts3
Reads:165Replies:3

You are still being billed when you stop your EC2 instances

Created#
More Posted time:Nov 29, 2017 1:29 AM
I just learned that following from talking to Alibaba Cloud's support:

If you have Pay-As-You-Go EC2 instances, you will be billed even if they are "stopped".

This is the explanation given to me during chat:

Dear customer, for Pay-As-You-Go subscriptions, if you don't want to use it anymore, you should make sure data well backed up and can turn off your services and release your instances, route: Console- Elastic Computer Service-instance –more-release setting, make sure to back up your data. So the bill at the end of the current billing cycle won't include the fees you didn't use this month. We'll capture payment upon the subscription. The charged amount will be deducted at the first day of next month.
By the way, for further explanation, stopping the instance does not mean you do not need to use it any more, maybe you just want to make it stop and restart it later. But in this period, you are still occupying our resources and we could not resell the resource to other users.

And this:

> So just to confirm:  I will be billed for pay-as-you-go even if the instances are stopped.
Yes,  if you don't want to use it anymore, you should make sure data well backed up and can turn off your services and release your instances.

hanneng
Intern
Intern
  • UID3277
  • Fans1
  • Follows0
  • Posts8
1st Reply#
Posted time:Dec 1, 2017 18:00 PM
It will be the same for other cloud providers too.

ec2
ec2
Intern
Intern
  • UID2546
  • Fans0
  • Follows0
  • Posts3
2nd Reply#
Posted time:Dec 2, 2017 2:34 AM
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2549035/do-you-get-charged-for-a-stopped-instance-on-ec2

I don't think so. At least I am not being billed for 24 hrs of active time.

ngoisk
Intern
Intern
  • UID4565
  • Fans0
  • Follows0
  • Posts5
3rd Reply#
Posted time:Dec 5, 2017 16:23 PM
As for EC2 in your example, there would still be some charges (e.g. EBS charges) even an instance has been stopped.  Pls refer to: https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/faqs  look at "Q: When does billing of my Amazon EC2 systems begin and end?"

Anyway, you've to explicitly 'terminate' an instance  (or release it in Alibaba Cloud's term)  as well as any attached resource like EBS storage or provisioned IOPS  to avoid any charges.