Container Service for Kubernetes is a high-performance and scalable containerized application management service, which enables you to manage the entire lifecycle of enterprise-level containerized applications. Container Service for Kubernetes simplifies the deployment and scale-out operations of Kubernetes clusters and integrates Alibaba Cloud capabilities of virtualization, storage, networking, and security. Based on these capabilities, Container Service for Kubernetes provides an ideal runtime environment for Kubernetes-based containerized applications. Container Service is one of the first certified service platforms that obtain the certificate of conformance from Kubernetes in the world. It provides professional support and services related to containers.
Container Service for Kubernetes provides the following three types of Kubernetes clusters: Dedicated Kubernetes clusters, Managed Kubernetes clusters, and Serverless Kubernetes clusters.
- Dedicated Kubernetes cluster: You must create three master nodes and several worker nodes for a Dedicated Kubernetes cluster to achieve high availability. This type of Kubernetes cluster allows you to manage the cluster infrastructure in a more fine-grained manner. It requires you to plan, maintain, and upgrade the Kubernetes cluster on your own.
- Managed Kubernetes cluster: You only need to create worker nodes. Container Service for Kubernetes creates and manages master nodes. This type of Kubernetes cluster is easy to use with low cost and high availability. You can focus on the business without the need to manage the master nodes of the Kubernetes cluster.
- Serverless Kubernetes: You do not need to create and manage any master nodes or worker nodes. You can use the Container Service console or command-line interface to configure resources for containers, specify container images for applications, provide methods for external access, and start applications.
- Cluster management
- Allows you to create a Dedicated Kubernetes cluster, Managed Kubernetes cluster, or Serverless Kubernetes cluster in an easy way through the Container Service console. You can also create a cluster across multiple zones to achieve high availability.
- Provides optimized OS images of Kubernetes containers and offers Kubernetes clusters and Docker versions with high stability and enhanced security.
- Supports multi-cluster management, high-availability clusters across zones, and cluster federation management.
- Supports various types of worker nodes.
- By resource types:
x86 computing resources: x86 computing ECS
Heterogeneous computing resources: GPU ECS, NPU ECS, and FPGA ECS
Bare metal computing resources: ECS Bare Metal (EBM) instances
Serverless computing resources: ACK virtual nodes
- By purchasing options: Preemptible instances, subscription, and pay-as-you-go
- By resource types:
- All-in-one container management
Provides high-performance Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) and elastic network interface (ENI) plug-ins. The performance of these plug-ins is 20% better than the performance of regular network solutions.
Supports container access policies and throttling.
Supports Alibaba Cloud disks, Network Attached Storage (NAS) instances, and Object Storage Service (OSS) buckets, and provides standard FlexVolume drivers.
Allows you to dynamically create and migrate volumes.
Allows you to collect logs and deliver the collected logs to Log Service.
Supports the integration with third-party open source logging solutions.
Allows you to monitor containers at both the container level and virtual machine (VM) level. You can also integrate Container Service for Kubernetes with third-party open source monitoring solutions.
- Access control
Supports Resource Access Management (RAM) for authorization and management at the cluster level.
Supports permission configuration and management at the application level.
- Application management
Supports phased release and blue-green release.
Supports application monitoring and scaling.
Supports the built-in application store and allows you to deploy applications in an easy way by using Helm.
Supports Service Catalog to simplify cloud service integration.
- High-availability scheduling policies and simple delivery processes
- Supports affinity policies and horizontal scaling of services.
- Provides high availability and disaster recovery across zones.
- Provides API operations for cluster and application management to easily implement continuous integration and private system deployment.