ApsaraDB for OceanBase is a relational database service developed by Alibaba Group for high-throughput, high-concurrency, and high-availability scenarios. The maximum processing capacity is 61 million times per second. The maximum data volume in a single cluster is more than 3 PB, and the maximum number of table rows is more than one trillion. ApsaraDB for OceanBase uses the Paxos protocol and maintains multiple data replicas. You can build a financial-grade database by deploying PC servers in a distributed architecture. ApsaraDB for OceanBase allows you to achieve reliability and data consistency at one third of the cost of other commercial databases.
- Outstanding Performance: Processing Capacity of 61 Million Times Per Second ApsaraDB for OceanBase supports rapid business scaling and achieves high performance by using the quasi-memory processing architecture. The maximum data volume in a single cluster is more than 3 PB, and the maximum number of table rows is more than one trillion.
- Continuous Availability: Leader and Practitioner of the Five Data Centers in Three Regions Solution ApsaraDB for OceanBase uses the Paxos protocol and maintains multiple data replicas. ApsaraDB for OceanBase supports automatic switchover between common PC servers, where no data record is lost (RPO = 0, RTO < 30 seconds). This avoids single point of failures (SPOFs) and zone-related risks.
- High Compatibility: Compatible with MySQL and Oracle ApsaraDB for OceanBase is compatible with MySQL and Oracle. You can use ApsaraDB for OceanBase after making minor changes to existing code and applications.
- Time-Tested Capabilities: Best Practices of Alipay and MYbank ApsaraDB for OceanBase has been running in all core scenarios of Ant Financial for many years. The database is proved to be reliable during the Double 11 in the last ten years.
- Unlimited Scalability Distributed transactions and global timestamps ensure that the computing and storage capacity can be scaled out without code modifications. This eliminates the need to worry about table sharding and database sharding.
- Proprietary Technology: Relational Database Developed by Alibaba Group and Ant Financial ApsaraDB for OceanBase is different from open-source databases such as MySQL and PostgreSQL. Alibaba Group and Ant Financial have proprietary rights to all code of ApsaraDB for OceanBase. The troubleshooting and architecture optimization of all product modules can be achieved based on code.
Architectures for Various Availability Requirements
ApsaraDB for OceanBase can be deployed across zones and regions. If a fault occurs, your workloads are switched to a healthy zone based on the specified priority. You can select zones based on your business requirements.
You can deploy ApsaraDB for OceanBase across three zones in a single region. In this scenario, you can achieve a Recovery Point Objective (RPO) of zero and a Recovery Time Objective (RTO) of less than 30 seconds. Automatic failover is triggered when a fault occurs. This deployment solution helps you ensure service continuity when a hardware fault or zone disaster occurs.
You can deploy ApsaraDB for OceanBase across five zones in three regions. In this scenario, you can achieve an RPO of zero and an RTO of less than 30 seconds. Automatic failover is triggered when a fault occurs. This deployment solution helps you ensure service continuity when a hardware fault, zone disaster, or geo-disaster occurs.
Multitenancy to Meet Business Requirements at Minimal Cost
ApsaraDB for OceanBase allows you to select the database engine for a cluster.
ApsaraDB for OceanBase is compatible with the Oracle syntax and stored procedures. Oracle-based applications can be migrated seamlessly or with minimal modifications.
ApsaraDB for OceanBase is compatible with the MySQL 5.6 syntax and client. You can use ApsaraDB for OceanBase the same way as you use MySQL. ApsaraDB for OceanBase provides financial-grade database capabilities such as scalability and high availability.
ApsaraDB for OceanBase provides financial-grade features such as recycle bin and flashback query to ensure service availability and fault tolerance.
ApsaraDB for OceanBase provides the flashback query feature for DML-related misoperations. This feature allows you to query previous data values or restore a table or row to a previous time point.
ApsaraDB for OceanBase provides the recycle bin feature for DDL-related misoperations. This feature allows you to restore data in case you perform the DROP TABLE or DROP DATABASE operation.
Execution Plan Evolution
Only verified execution plans can be enabled. When a new plan is available for the target SQL statement due to various reasons such as changes in statistics, the new plan is not immediately enabled. The new plan must be verified by a small volume of data inside the OBServer and must have better performance than previous plans before it can be enabled.
Customer Success Stories
"ApsaraDB for OceanBase provides perfect support for the read and write scenarios of Taobao favorites. The promotions of Taobao have tested the concurrent processing capabilities of ApsaraDB for OceanBase. ApsaraDB for OceanBase meets the business requirements of Taobao favorites in terms of stability, high throughput, excellent performance, and low cost."
Taobao.com is one of the world’s largest e-commerce websites. It currently has nearly 500 million registered users and has more than 60 million regular visitors every day. The number of products online per day has exceeded 800 million, and an average of 48,000 products are sold per minute.
"ApsaraDB for OceanBase is tested by the challenges of the 11.11 shopping festival for supporting the transactions, payments, and accounts of Alipay. ApsaraDB for OceanBase helps Alipay deploy a high availability architecture across data centers and regions. ApsaraDB for OceanBase also plays an important role in daily operation, emergency drill, and disaster recovery."
- Cheng Li, CTO, Ant Financial
Alipay is a leading third-party payment platform in China. It is dedicated to providing fast, easy, and safe online payment solutions. During the Double 11 Shopping Festival in 2019, the maximum number of transactions made on Alipay reached 544,000 per second.
Outstanding performance during TPC-C benchmark test
All database kernel developers want to take on the challenge of the TPC-C benchmark. However, it is never easy to address all of the challenges that are presented in complex benchmarks like TPC-C. This also happened to be the very first time that ApsaraDB for OceanBase took on the TPC-C benchmark. To beat the TPC-C benchmark test, the research and development team of ApsaraDB for OceanBase prepared for more than a year.
High availability and disaster recovery
The primary requirement for high availability of databases is automatic failover with zero data loss. If automatic failover is enabled, services can be recovered in the shortest time. Recovery Time Objective (RTO) is used to measure the recovery time. Recovery Point Objective (RPO) is the metric for data loss after service recovery. RTO and RPO are important metrics to evaluate a high availability solution.
Alipay technology during the Double 11
During the Double 11 in 2019, CNY 10 billion (USD 1.4 billion) in transactions were completed in 1 minute and 36 seconds, CNY 30 billion (USD 4.2 billion) in 5 minutes and 25 seconds, and CNY 50 billion (USD 7.1 billion) in less than 13 minutes. The Double 11 has allowed Alibaba Group to lead the way in terms of research and development. Alibaba Group has advanced the level of computing capabilities and related technologies by approximately 20 years.
Create a cluster
A cluster is a basic unit for purchasing cloud products.
Create a tenant
Tenants are constituent parts of a cluster. You can create tenants to make full use of the system resources in the cluster.
Create a database
You can create different databases for independent tenants to store data.
Upgraded Support For You
1 on 1 Presale Consultation, 24/7 Technical Support, Faster Response, and More Tickets.