This topic describes the competitive advantages of Alibaba Cloud CDN in terms of service performance, technologies, pricing, service bundling, and service support.
Alibaba Cloud CDN provides the following advantages:
Alibaba Cloud CDN global network is made up of more than 2,800 strategically located points of presence (POPs). Spanning over 2,300 POPs located across 31 provinces in the Chinese mainland, and over 500 POPs located in more than 70 countries and regions, including Hong Kong (China), Macao (China), and Taiwan (China), Alibaba Cloud CDN has a global network capacity of up to 150 Tbit/s. Through leveraging our vast network and immense networking capacity, Alibaba Cloud CDN is able to deliver your content to customers around the world with the utmost security, performance, and reliability.
- China DJCP (MLPS) Level 3 certification
- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) certification
- Listed as a global service provider by Gartner
- IPv6 Enabled CDN Logo certification issued by the global IPv6 Forum
Alibaba Cloud CDN provides a diversified mix of features, which can be accessed through the console and API. Customers can manage and configure all aspects of their content delivery through Alibaba Cloud CDN. The following table describes the key features of Alibaba Cloud CDN.
|Domain name management||Supports the following features: accelerated domain name settings, basic settings, back-to-origin settings, caching settings, HTTPS settings, access control settings, performance optimization, video-related settings, security settings, traffic throttling, quick UDP Internet connections (QUIC), EdgeScript (ES) settings, and IPv6 settings.|
|Monitoring and usage analytics||Supports the following features: resource monitoring, real-time monitoring, resource usage query, ES monitoring, and security monitoring.|
|Log management||Supports the following features: log export, log storage, real-time log delivery, custom operations reports, and tracking tasks.|
|Refresh and prefetch||Supports the following features: URL refresh, directory refresh, and URL prefetch.|
Alibaba Cloud CDN provides programmable edge computing capabilities. These capabilities are delivered by using EdgeScript through custom configurations. If the built-in configurations provided by Alibaba Cloud CDN are unable to meet your business requirements, you can use ES to create custom configurations. Custom configurations are helpful in resolving issues in an agile manner.
Custom routines at the edge
You can call API operations to use and manage the features of Alibaba Cloud CDN. For more information, see List of operations by function.
- Alibaba Cloud CDN implements various optimizations to provide superior routing performance:
- Dynamic IP library: Alibaba Cloud CDN maintains an IP library that provides information such as regions and Internet service providers (ISPs). The routing system looks up the information whenever a DNS request is sent to Alibaba Cloud CDN. Then, the system routes user requests to the nearest CDN POP that belongs to the same ISP. The IP library is dynamically updated to ensure that the data is up-to-date.
- HTTPDNS (requires compatibility with clients): HTTPDNS allows clients to bypass the local DNS servers of ISPs and directly access the routing system over HTTP. Then, the routing system redirects the requests to the optimal POP for the destination domain names. This prevents security issues such as DNS hijacking.
- Node analytics: The routing system of Alibaba Cloud CDN analyzes the health status of all POPs and routes in the cache network in real time based on the statistics provided by the route quality system. This increases the routing quality of CDN POPs and improves user experience.
- Content-oriented routing: Content-oriented routing increases the cache hit ratio of Alibaba Cloud CDN. 302 redirection, one of the content-oriented routing schemes, is used in scenarios such as large file distribution and on-demand video streaming. The DNS server resolves a request which is then passed to the routing system. After the routing system parses the request, it identifies the POPs where the requested content resides. Then, a 302 redirect is performed to redirect the request to an optimal POP that is selected by the routing system.
- Benefits: The routing system can route requests based on data transfer trends, or route requests in real time to handle traffic spikes.
- Expected results: Alibaba Cloud CDN can monitor the health status of each POP in real time and select an optimal POP for each request based on the self-developed routing system.
Intelligent caching system
- Accurate caching: Alibaba Cloud CDN uses intelligent object algorithms to cache content based on popularity in a multi-level cache. This mechanism allows Alibaba Cloud CDN to prioritize caching popular objects over less requested content.
- High-speed caching: Alibaba Cloud CDN is designed for performance. It makes full use of the underlying technologies by balancing workloads to take advantage of its multi-core processing capabilities, implementing cutting-edge memory management mechanisms, and maximizing the IOPS and throughput of SSDs.
- High read and write speeds: All POPs are equipped with SSDs to take advantage of their inherent high read/write speeds and reliability. These advantages allow Alibaba Cloud CDN to help you improve website availability and deliver content faster.
- Efficient back-to-origin routing: Alibaba Cloud CDN provides failover and retransmission mechanisms to ensure efficient back-to-origin routing and information synchronization.
Efficient transport layer protocol
- QUIC: QUIC is a new transport layer network protocol that combines the best qualities of TCP, TLS, and HTTP/2. QUIC supports encrypted, low-latency, and multiplexed connections to meet the requirements of the transport and application layers.
- Independently developed algorithms for the TCP protocol suite: Alibaba Cloud has developed algorithms such as congestion detection and packet loss probing algorithms to improve the performance of TCP. The transmission performance is significantly improved.
Reliable protection capabilities
Alibaba Cloud CDN is integrated with various security features and services to provide safe and secure content delivery.
- Hotlink protection: Alibaba Cloud CDN provides a variety of methods to protect your origin server. Allowlists and denylists can filter packets based on the referer header, user-agent header, URLs, and IP addresses. You can also use ES to implement access authorization. Alibaba Cloud CDN also supports remote authentication, which is a two-factor authentication method used to reinforce the security of your origin servers.
- DNS hijacking protection: HTTPDNS allows clients to directly access the DNS maintained by Alibaba Cloud instead of the local DNS maintained by ISPs.
- HTTPS-based transmission: The security of data may be compromised if it is transmitted as plaintext over the Internet. Alibaba Cloud CDN uses TLS to encrypt HTTP messages. You can also configure advanced settings such as TLS1.3, HSTS, and keyless to better protect your data.
- Protection for origin servers: Alibaba Cloud CDN provides basic security features. If your origin servers require reinforced protection, you can use Secure CDN (SCDN).
- High availability of origin servers: Alibaba Cloud CDN supports primary and secondary origin servers, and monitors the health status of the origin servers. If the primary origin server fails, requests are redirected to a secondary origin server.
Competitive pricing strategies
- Flexible metering methods. For more information, see Billing overview.
- Save more with subscription resource plans. For more information, see CDN resource plans.
Tailored to fit
|Low back-to-origin traffic with occasional traffic spikes.||Pay-by-data-transfer.
Note We recommend that you purchase resource plans to reduce costs. Alibaba Cloud CDN provides multiple types of resource plans for different accelerated regions. The capacities of these resource plans range from 100 GB to 50 PB. You can select resource plans based on your business requirements.
For more information about the metering methods of Alibaba Cloud CDN, see CDN pricing.
Expansive ecosystem services
- You can use Alibaba Cloud CDN together with other Alibaba Cloud services to fine-tune service performance and improve management efficiency.
Existing service Recommended service Reason Elastic Compute Service (ECS) Alibaba Cloud CDN Alibaba Cloud CDN accelerates content stored on your ECS origin to customers all over the world. Object Storage Service (OSS) Alibaba Cloud CDN accelerates content stored on your OSS origin to customers all over the world. The caching capability of Alibaba Cloud CDN helps reduce the outbound traffic costs of OSS. Function Compute Alibaba Cloud CDN accelerates content stored on your Function Compute origin to customers all over the world.
- Building upon the already powerful static content acceleration capabilities, Alibaba Cloud CDN also provides solutions for scenarios where you may also want to accelerate dynamic content or want to harden website security.
Scenario Recommended service Description Accelerate the delivery of both dynamic and static content DCDN DCDN is a branch of Alibaba Cloud CDN that can accelerate the delivery of both dynamic and static content. DCDN automatically separates dynamic content from static content and accelerates the delivery of both types of content at the same time.
- If you have already activated Alibaba Cloud CDN, you can use Alibaba Cloud CDN together with other services to fine-tune it to meet your unique business requirements. The following table describes the services that can be used together with Alibaba Cloud CDN.
Scenario Recommended service Description Accelerate on-demand audio and video streaming ApsaraVideo VOD (VOD) VOD is an all-in-one solution for on-demand audio and video streaming. VOD supports audio and video upload, automatic transcoding, media resource management, and content delivery. Accelerate live streaming ApsaraVideo Live ApsaraVideo Live is an audio and video streaming platform that is based on the next-generation content access and distribution network and supports large-scale and distributed real-time transcoding. ApsaraVideo Live is a low-latency, highly concurrent live streaming service that delivers smooth, high-quality video content. Register a domain name that you want to accelerate by using Alibaba Cloud CDN Domains Domains is a domain name management platform that provides domain name registration, transaction, monitoring, and protection services. This platform is integrated with the Alibaba Cloud ICP Filing and Alibaba Cloud DNS services. Apply for an Internet Content Provider (ICP) number for the domain name that you want to accelerate by using Alibaba Cloud CDN Alibaba Cloud ICP Filing China mandates an ICP filing system for non-commercial Internet information services and an ICP licensing system for commercial Internet information services. You must apply for an ICP number for your domain name to comply with Measures for the Administration of Internet Information Services and Registration Administration Measures for Non-Commercial Internet Information Services. Websites that do not have an ICP number or license are prohibited from providing Internet information services. Therefore, all websites must obtain an ICP number before the websites are permitted to operate in the Chinese mainland. You can use the Alibaba Cloud ICP Filing system to apply for ICP numbers, modify ICP filing information, cancel ICP filing applications, and claim ICP numbers. Enable and configure HTTPS for a website SSL Certificates Service SSL Certificates Service is a digital server certificate service provided by Alibaba Cloud. This service provides digital server certificates issued by certification authorities (CAs). You can obtain free digital certificates or purchase other types of certificates from Alibaba Cloud. Then, you can deploy these certificates in Alibaba Cloud services to enable HTTPS for HTTP-based services in an efficient and convenient manner. This way, your websites can perform identity verification and encryption for data in transit. Improve the O&M efficiency, and process large volumes of log data Log Service Log Service is an all-in-one logging service developed in-house by Alibaba Cloud. As a powerful logging solution, Log Service has been honed to perfection through years of implementation within Alibaba Group. You can use Log Service out-of-the-box to collect, consume, ship, query, and analyze log data. Log Service is capable of processing large amounts of log data and is an indispensable tool in improving operational efficiency. Monitor Alibaba Cloud resources and Internet applications CloudMonitor CloudMonitor is a service that monitors Alibaba Cloud resources and Internet applications. CloudMonitor collects metrics of Alibaba Cloud resources. You can use CloudMonitor to monitor the availability of your network and configure alerts for specific metrics.
- End-to-end and 24/7 monitoring and support systems.
- Well-maintained documentation. For more information, see What is Alibaba Cloud CDN?
- You can submit feedback and suggestions for pre-sales consultation or after-sales support.