This topic lists the frequently asked questions (FAQ) about domain name registration.
- What can I do if my desired domain name has been registered by another registrant?
- Can I register multiple domain names for the same website?
- How long can I register a domain name for?
- Do I need to submit the information multiple times to register multiple domain names by using the same information?
- How can I know whether a domain name has been registered?
- What can I do if the domain name that I have purchased remains in the processing status?
- How can I deal with a dispute over an .hk domain name that I have registered?
What can I do if my desired domain name has been registered by another registrant?
Each domain name is unique. After a domain name has been registered, it cannot be registered by others. However, you can try to search for similar domain names with other suffixes. For example, if your desired domain name "abc.com" has been registered, you can register "abc.net" or "abc.cn". The three domain names can be used in the same way.
If you really want to own the domain name that has been registered by another registrant, you can negotiate with the current registrant of the domain name to see whether the current registrant is willing to transfer the domain name to you.
Can I register multiple domain names for the same website?
- You can register similar domain names with multiple suffixes, such as www.companyname.net and www.companyname.com. This ensures the uniqueness of your company's brand and ensures that the domain names are not registered by others. These domain names can also be used to build websites in different languages.
- You can direct domain names with similar content to the same website. This allows Internet users to find your website even when they misspell or do not know how to spell your domain name.
- You can associate different domain names with sales promotion and advertisement websites for promotion, to boost new product recommendation or new projects.
- You can also register a domain name with the .com or .net suffix to send emails. In this way, your email address contains the name of your company or brand, which is not a common email address such as a Hotmail or Gmail address.
How long can I register a domain name for?
Domain names with common domain suffixes such as .com, .net, and .cn can be registered for up to ten years.
Do I need to submit the information multiple times to register multiple domain names by using the same information?
No, you do not need to submit the information multiple times. If you register multiple domain names by using the same information, you can submit the information only once after you add the domain names into the shopping cart and pay for them at the same time. If you have registered a domain name before and you have passed the real-name verification, we will save your real-name information. When you register another domain name, we will match your information. You only need to determine whether to use the information we matched for you.
How can I know whether a domain name has been registered?
Go to the Alibaba Cloud domain name registration page. On the page that appears, enter your domain name in the search box, and click Find A Domain.
If the query result shows that the domain name is registered and the domain registration information appears in WHOIS information, the domain name has been registered. You can check the domain name information. If the domain name information is not your information, log on to your Alibaba Cloud account to modify your domain name information. For more information, see Transfer domain name ownership.
What can I do if the domain name that I have purchased remains in the processing status?
- Trademark protection
The domain name you attempt to register is protected by the domain name registrar and cannot be registered. Our business staff will review the order in the processing status on the same day. If your domain name is protected by the domain name registrar, we will change your order status to failed and send an email notification to you. In this case, you have to register another domain name.
- Incorrect registration information
The domain name registration information that you provide before payment is incorrect, and the domain name registrar does not approve this registration. Our business staff will review the order in the processing status on the same day. If your registration information is incorrect, we will help you correct the information and resubmit it to the domain name registrar for approval. This process repeats until the registration is successful. This issue will be fixed within one business day.
- System upgrade may suspend order processing for a short time. The system will reactivate the order and help you complete your order after the upgrade. In this case, please wait 30 minutes and check again.