Real-Time Streaming (RTS) is a value-added feature in ApsaraVideo Live. This feature provides easy-to-access live streaming services characterized by low latency, high concurrency, high definition, and smooth playback. This topic describes basic information about the RTS feature and shows you how to use the feature.
The RTS feature is developed based on ApsaraVideo Live. This feature supports latency monitoring during the entire live streaming process, reconstructed CDN transmission protocol, and optimized underlying technologies such as UDP. The RTS SDK is integrated with ApsaraVideo Player SDK. Compared with conventional live streaming that has a latency of 3 to 6 seconds, RTS supports the playback of tens of millions of concurrent streams at a low latency of milliseconds. You can use RTS to reduce the latency and video stuttering, and ensure instant loading and smooth playback for live streaming.
To use the RTS feature, you need to only add an RTS streaming domain to your ApsaraVideo Live service. This way, you can pull streams over various protocols. The following figure shows the architecture of RTS.
- Streams are ingested based on Real-Time Messaging Protocol (RTMP). The network quality of the stream ingest client, group of pictures (GOP) size of the stream, and player cache all affect the latency of the entire live streaming process.
- The streaming URL for standard streaming over RTMP starts with rtmp://. The streaming URL for standard streaming over FLV or HLS starts with http://. The streaming URL for RTS over UDP starts with artc://.
The following video compares the effects of RTS and regular live streaming.
|Educational live streaming||RTS supports online large classes, in which a large number of students can interact with teachers online at a low latency.|
|E-commerce live streaming||RTS allows sellers to communicate with buyers, answer questions from buyers, and exchange product information with buyers in real time.|
|Sports live streaming||RTS can be used to broadcast events such as sports and e-sports in real time.|
|Interactive entertainment||RTS allows streamers to give real-time response when viewers send virtual gifts. This delivers a more interactive and engaging experience to streamers and viewers.|
The billing for RTS is different from that for standard streaming. The following rules apply:
- You are charged based on the billable items of RTS rather than those of standard streaming. This way, you are charged for the streams only once.
- The billing method used for RTS and standard streaming must be the same. The pay-by-data-transfer or pay-by-bandwidth metering method is supported.
- If you change the billing method of standard streaming, the billing method of RTS also changes.
For more information about the billing of RTS, see RTS fees.
You can scan the following QR codes to install RTS demos. Alternatively, you can copy the URL that is displayed after you scan the QR code to a browser to download and install the demos.
If you have questions or suggestions when you use RTS, join the DingTalk group by searching for the group number 44533142 or scanning the following QR code. This group is used for RTS technical support. For troubleshooting and quality tuning, submit a ticket.