This topic describes the best practices for using Server Migration Center (SMC) in different scenarios.
SMC is a migration platform developed by Alibaba Cloud. You can use SMC to migrate data from your servers to Alibaba Cloud. SMC provides multiple features and benefits to simplify data migration. For more information, see What is SMC?
- If you migrate data from a server to Alibaba Cloud for the first time, we recommend that you perform a full migration. For more information, see Migration process.
- If you need to synchronize data changes from a server to Alibaba Cloud, we recommend that you perform an incremental migration. For more information, see Migrate incremental data from a source server.
- If you need to migrate data from multiple servers, you can import the information of the servers to SMC, and then import migration tasks in batches. For more information, see Import multiple migration tasks by using an Excel template.
- You can estimate the migration duration and the data transfer rate. For more information, see Estimate the time required for migration and test the transmission speed.
- You can enable multi-threaded transfer acceleration to utilize the maximum bandwidth. This allows you to improve your transmission efficiency in high-bandwidth scenarios. For more information, see Enable multi-threaded transfer acceleration.
- If your server can access a VPC in the destination region of data migration, we recommend that you connect the server to the VPC. When you create a migration task, select VPC as the network type. For more information, see Step 2: Create and start a migration task. For more information about how to connect the server to the VPC, see Connect an on-premises data center to a VPC network.
- If you need to migrate data from a server that runs earlier operating systems, you must first upgrade GRand Unified Bootloader (GRUB) to 1.99 or later. The earlier operating systems include CentOS 5, RHEL 5.5, and Debian 7. If the operating system of the server is Amazon Linux, you must upgrade GRUB to 2.02 or later. For more information about how to install GRUB, see Install GRUB in a Linux server.