DataWorks provides an intelligent monitoring system for you to monitor and analyze nodes. This topic describes the background information and features of the system.
The intelligent monitoring system monitors the running status of nodes and sends alert notifications based on the intervals, notification methods, and notification recipients that are specified in alert rules. The intelligent monitoring system automatically selects the most appropriate alerting time, notification methods, and alert contacts.
The intelligent monitoring system provides the following features: Baseline Instance, Baseline Management, Event Management, Rule Management, and Alert Management.
- To use the Baseline Instance, Baseline Management, and Event Management features, you must activate DataWorks Standard Edition or a more advanced edition.
- If you want to receive alert notifications by text messages or phone calls as a RAM user, you must log on to the RAM console by using your Alibaba Cloud account and complete the required information such as your phone number and email address. For more information, see Modify the basic information about a RAM user.
- Improves the efficiency in configuring alert rules.
- Prevents invalid alerts.
- Automatically monitors all important nodes.
- DataWorks has numerous nodes, so it is difficult for you to determine the nodes that
you want to monitor.
Some DataWorks business requires a large number of nodes, and the dependencies between the nodes are complex. Therefore, it is difficult for you to find all the ancestor nodes of a node and monitor them all even if you know the most important node. In this case, if you simply monitor all nodes, a large number of invalid alerts may be generated. As a result, you may miss the useful alerts.
- The notification method varies with nodes. For example, some monitoring tasks require the relevant nodes to run for more than 1 hour before alerts are triggered, whereas other monitoring tasks require the relevant nodes to run for more than 2 hours. It is extremely complex to configure alert rules for each node separately, and it is difficult to predict the alert threshold value for each node.
- The alerting time varies based on monitored nodes. For example, alerts for unimportant nodes can be reported during business hours, but alerts for important nodes must be immediately reported regardless of what time they are triggered. It is difficult for a conventional monitoring system to distinguish between important nodes and unimportant nodes.
- Different alerts require different operations to turn off.
The intelligent monitoring system provides comprehensive monitoring and alerting logic. You need only to provide the names of important nodes in your business. Then, the intelligent monitoring system automatically monitors the entire process of your nodes and generates standard alert rules for them. In addition, you can customize alert rules by configuring basic settings.
The full-path monitoring feature of the intelligent monitoring system guarantees the overall data output of all the important business of Alibaba Group. In addition, the intelligent monitoring system allows you to analyze ancestor and descendant node paths to promptly detect risks and provide O&M advice for business departments. The features provided by the intelligent monitoring system ensure the long-term high stability of business in Alibaba Group.