You can deploy the Windows application environment on an Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instance by using an image that contains the operating system and applications. This topic describes how to deploy the Windows application environment on an ECS instance by replacing the image of the instance.
Alibaba Cloud Marketplace images contain operating systems and applications and can be used to deploy application environments on ECS instances. For more information, see Alibaba Cloud Marketplace.
You can use one of the following methods to use Alibaba Cloud Marketplace images that contain the Windows application environment:
- If you are creating an instance, you can select an Alibaba Cloud Marketplace image that contains the Windows application environment. For more information, see Creation method overview.
- If you are using an existing instance, you can replace the operating system of the instance by using an Alibaba Cloud Marketplace image that contains the Windows application environment.
- The procedure described in this topic applies to existing ECS instances. You can deploy the Windows application environment on an existing instance by changing its image to an Alibaba Cloud Marketplace image. This tutorial describes only the general procedure for using Alibaba Cloud Marketplace images. The buy page of Alibaba Cloud Marketplace images contains the how-to guide. We recommend that you read the guide before you use the images.
- You cannot install or deploy virtualization software such as Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM), Xen, or VMware on ECS instances.
- After the operating system of an instance is replaced, the original system disk is
released and its data is lost and cannot be restored. Exercise caution when you replace
the operating system. For more information, see Replace the operating system of an instance by using a non-public image.
Note When the operating system of an instance is replaced, the data on its data disks is not affected.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- In the top navigation bar, select a region.
- Replace the system disk of the ECS instance.
- Find the instance for which you want to replace the system disk. In the Actions column, choose .
- In the Replace System Disk message, click OK.
- On the Change Operating System page, set Image to Marketplace Image and click Select from Image Market (Including Operating System).
- In the left-side navigation pane of the Marketplace Image dialog box, select All Categories
or enter the image name that you want to use and click Search. Select the image and click Use.
- In the System Disk section, modify the size of the system disk or use the default setting.
- In the Security Settings section, click Password, enter your password in the Logon Password field, and then enter the password again in the Confirm field.
- In the Terms of Service section, read and select ECS Service Terms and Terms of Service for Images.
- In the lower-right corner of the Change Operating System page, click Create Oder.
After you complete the payment, the Congratulations, purchase successfully message appears, which indicates that the operating system of the instance is replaced.
The instance automatically starts after the operating system is replaced. You can go back to the Instances page, find and connect to the instance, and use the new Windows application environment. For more information about how to connect to an instance, see Connection methods.