This topic describes how to create an automatic snapshot policy in the Elastic Compute Service (ECS) console.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- In the top navigation bar, select a region.
- On the Snapshots page, click the Automatic Snapshot Policies tab.
- In the upper-right corner of the Automatic Snapshot Policies tab, click Create Policy.
- In the Create Policy dialog box, specify the parameters described in the following table.
Parameter Description Name The name of the automatic snapshot policy. Executed At The hours of the day at which to create automatic snapshots. You can select one or more hours from 00:00 to 23:00.Note When a snapshot is created for an Elastic Block Storage (EBS) device, the I/O performance of the device can degrade by as much as 10%. This can result in a brief I/O speed decrease. We recommend that you create automatic snapshots during off-peak hours. Execution Frequency The days of the week on which to create automatic snapshots. You can select one or more days from Monday to Sunday. Keep Snapshots The retention period of automatic snapshots. The default retention period is 30 days. The following options are available:
- Keep For: Specify a retention period for automatic snapshots. Unit: days. Valid values: 1 to 65536.
- Always Keep: After the maximum number of automatic snapshots for a disk is reached, the earliest snapshot is deleted when a new snapshot is created.
Tag The tags. Automatic snapshots created based on the automatic snapshot policy have the specified tags added. Select existing tag keys and values, or enter new tag keys and values. For more information about tags, see Overview.
You can modify the tags of an automatic snapshot policy after the policy is created. For more information, see Edit the tags of an automatic snapshot policy.
Resource Group The resource group to which to assign the automatic snapshot policy. For more information about resource groups, see Resource groups. Cross-Region Replication for Snapshots If the Cross-Region Replication for Snapshots feature is enabled, automatic snapshots that are created based on the automatic snapshot policy are copied to a specified destination region.
After you select Enabled, you must specify the Destination Region and Retention Time of Snapshot Copies parameters.
Destination Region The region to which to copy snapshots. Retention Time of Snapshot Copies The retention period of snapshot copies in the destination region.
- Keep For: Specify a retention period for snapshot copies. Unit: days. Valid values: 1 to 65536.
- Always Keep Snapshots Regardless of the Limit of Snapshots: Snapshot copies are retained in the destination region until they are deleted.
- Click OK.
What to do next
We recommend that you specify disks to execute an automatic snapshot policy immediately after the policy is created. For more information, see Apply or disable an automatic snapshot policy.