This topic describes how to create an automatic snapshot policy in the Elastic Compute Service (ECS) console.
PrerequisitesThe snapshot service is activated. For more information, see Activate ECS Snapshot.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- In the top navigation bar, select a region.
- On the Snapshots page, click the Automatic Snapshot Policies tab.
- On the Automatic Snapshot Policies tab, click Create Automatic Snapshot Policy.
- In the Create Automatic Snapshot Policy dialog box, configure the parameters described in the following table.
Parameter Description Policy Name The name of the automatic snapshot policy. Execution Frequency The days of the week on which to create automatic snapshots. You can select one or more days from Monday to Sunday. Execution Time The hours of the day at which to create automatic snapshots. You can select one or more hours from 00:00 to 23:00.Note When a snapshot is being created for an Elastic Block Storage (EBS) device, the I/O performance of the device degrades by up to 10%. This can result in a transient I/O speed decrease. We recommend that you create automatic snapshots during off-peak hours. Retention Period The retention period of automatic snapshots. The default retention period is 30 days. The following options are available:
- Custom Period: Specify a retention period. Unit: days. Valid values: 1 to 65535.
- Until Deleted: Created automatic snapshots are retained based on the number of automatic snapshots. After the maximum number of automatic snapshots is reached, the oldest snapshot is automatically deleted when a new snapshot is created.
Tag The tags of the automatic snapshot policy. Automatic snapshots created based on the automatic snapshot policy have the specified tags added. You can select existing tag keys and values, or enter new tag keys and values. For more information about tags, see Overview.
You can modify the tags of an automatic snapshot policy after the policy is created. For more information, see Edit the tags of an automatic snapshot policy.
Resource Group The resource group to which to assign the automatic snapshot policy. For more information about resource groups, see Resource groups. Cross-region Snapshot Replication
After you select Enabled, you must specify the Destination Region and Retention Period of Snapshot Copies parameters.
If you enable cross-region snapshot replication, automatic snapshots created based on the automatic snapshot policy are automatically copied to the destination region. You are charged for the data transfers for copying the snapshots. For more information about how to copy snapshots, see Copy a snapshot. For more information about the fees related to snapshot replication, see Snapshots.Note The cross-region snapshot replication feature cannot be used to create encrypted snapshot copies in the destination region. If you want to have encrypted snapshot copies in the destination region, we recommend that you copy automatic snapshots to the destination region and select Copy and Encrypt to encrypt snapshot copies. For more information, see Copy a snapshot.
Destination Region The region to which to copy the snapshots. Retention Time of Snapshot Copies The retention period of snapshot copies in the destination region.
Note The modified retention period takes effect only on subsequent snapshot copies and does not affect existing snapshot copies.
- Custom Period: Specify a retention period for the snapshot copies. Unit: days. Valid values: 1 to 65535.
- Until Deleted: Created snapshots are retained based on the number of snapshots. After the maximum number is reached, the oldest snapshot is automatically deleted when a new snapshot is created.
- Click OK.
What to do next
We recommend that you specify disks to enable an automatic snapshot policy immediately after the policy is created. For more information, see Enable or disable an automatic snapshot policy.