This topic describes the responsibilities and permissions of a workspace administrator. By default, the Alibaba Cloud account that creates a workspace is the owner and administrator of the workspace and has full permissions on the workspace.
The owner can also specify a Resource Access Management (RAM) user as a workspace administrator.
Create a workspace
- A RAM user can create a workspace only if it has the AliyunDataWorksFullAccess permission. For more information, see Grant permissions to the RAM user.
- A workspace administrator needs to maintain stable execution of the workspace in the production environment, grant least permissions to workspace members, and control operation permissions on tables in the workspace.
Add workspace members
DataWorks roles are divided into preset roles and workspace-level custom roles. Each role has different permissions. You can assign a role to a user when you add the user to a workspace. This way, the user obtains the permissions that are configured for the role. For more information, see Manage workspace-level roles and members. Each role has different operation permissions on the DataWorks console. For more information, see Permissions of built-in workspace-level roles.
If you use a MaxCompute engine, mappings are established between the preset roles of DataWorks and the MaxCompute roles for projects in Dev mode. In other words, after a preset role of DataWorks is assigned to a user, the user can manage the resources of the corresponding project in Dev mode in MaxCompute. For more information, see Users, roles, and permissions.
To ensure stability and security of the production environment, DataWorks does not allow RAM users to perform operations on tables in the production environment. For example, RAM users cannot modify or delete tables in the production environment. In addition, workspace members must be granted related permissions before they can commit nodes.
- Data Integration: Only the owner and administrator of a workspace can perform operations such as adding data sources and migrating tables to the cloud in the workspace.
- MaxCompute Management: A workspace administrator can bind a resource group to a workspace. Then, O&M engineers can view the system status, allocate resource groups, and monitor nodes in MaxCompute Management.
- Operation Center: Only a member that is assigned the O&M role or an administrator of a workspace can perform advanced operations in Operation Center.
- DataStudio: Only a developer or an administrator of a workspace can perform development operations in DataStudio.
- Alibaba Cloud account: The AccessKey ID and AccessKey secret of your Alibaba Cloud account are required to execute SQL statements. The SQL statements can be executed on tables in all workspaces in the specified region. Exercise caution when you select this option.
- RAM user: The AccessKey ID and AccessKey secret of a RAM user are required to execute SQL statements. The permissions of RAM users are strictly controlled. Only authorized RAM users can perform operations on tables in the production environment.
To ensure data security, we recommend that you assign roles with least permissions to RAM users.