This topic describes how to create a Prometheus instance for GlobalView (global aggregation instance). The global aggregation instance allows you to aggregate Alibaba Cloud instances or self-managed Prometheus instances by using Managed Service for Prometheus. You can configure an alert rule for the global aggregation instance and use the built-in dashboards to monitor the instance.
PrerequisitesApplication Real-Time Monitoring Service (ARMS) is activated. For more information, see Activate ARMS.
- Log on to the ARMS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
Create a global aggregation instance
- Click Create Prometheus Instance. On the page that appears, click Global Aggregation Instance.
- In the panel that appears, configure the parameters and click Create Aggregation Instance. The created global aggregation instance is displayed on the Prometheus Service page and Prometheus for GlobalView is displayed in the Instance Type column.Note
- When you configure the Endpoint parameter, select the region where you want to configure an alert rule. We recommend that you select the region with the largest number of instances. If you select another region, the access speed and system stability may be affected.
- In the STEP3 section, you can select instances that reside in different regions. Before you select instances, you must specify an endpoint in the STEP2 section.
- To edit a global aggregation instance, you can click Edit in the Actions column of the instance. If you change the endpoint, the alert rule configured for the original endpoint becomes invalid. Therefore, we recommend that you do not change the endpoint unless it is necessary.
View the metric data of the global aggregation instance on Grafana dashboards
After you create a global aggregation instance by using Managed Service for Prometheus, you can view the performance metrics of the global aggregation instance on built-in Grafana dashboards.
- On the Prometheus Service page, click the name of the Prometheus instance. In the left-side navigation pane, click Dashboards.
- On the Dashboards page, click the name of a dashboard to view the performance metrics of the instance. Note To reset dashboards, you can click Reset Dashboards in the upper-right corner. For more information, see Reset dashboards.
Create an alert rule for the global aggregation instance
- On the Prometheus Service page, click the name of the Prometheus instance. In the left-side navigation pane, click Alert Rules.
- In the upper-right corner of the page, click Create Prometheus Alert Rule. On the Create Prometheus Alert Rule page, configure parameters for the alert rule. For more information, see Create an alert rule for a Prometheus instance. Note In the Data Preview section of the Create Prometheus Alert Rule page, the unique_cluster_id and unique_cluster_name fields of the global aggregation instance are displayed. The fields help you identify the instances that trigger alerts.
Delete the global aggregation instance
If you do not need to monitor the global aggregation instance, you can uninstall the Prometheus agent.
On the Prometheus Service page, find the Prometheus instance that you want to uninstall and click Uninstall in the Actions column. In the message that appears, click OK. After you uninstall a Prometheus instance, it is no longer displayed on the Prometheus Service page.