If the registrant of a domain name changes due to reasons such as domain name trading or Internet Content Provider (ICP) filing, you must transfer the domain name to the actual domain name registrant as soon as possible. This topic describes how to transfer domain name ownership in different scenarios and the precautions associated with ownership transfer.
Differences between ownership transfer and other situations
|The registrant of a domain name is changed:||Transfer the domain name ownership|
|The domain name registrant remains the same, but the contact information of the registrant, the administrator, or the user responsible for the payment of the domain name is changed:||Modify domain name information||Modify domain name information|
- Transfer the ownership of multiple domain names by using a registrant profile that
has passed real-name verification:
- Non-CNNIC domain names: The verification process can be completed within a short period of time. (CNNIC is the abbreviation of China Internet Network Information Center.)
- CNNIC domain names (such as .cn, .中国, .公司, .网络): If you transfer the ownership of a CNNIC domain name by using a registrant profile that has passed real-name verification, few information and materials are required for review. However, CNNIC still reviews the domain name information and real-name verification materials. The review process usually takes three to five business days.
- Transfer the ownership of a single domain name by using a registrant profile that
has passed real-name verification:
After you select a registrant profile that has passed real-name verification, you must still enter your certificate number and upload materials for real-name verification to transfer the ownership. The review process usually takes three to five weekdays.
- Transfer the ownership of special domain names with suffixes such as .gov.cn: Registrants of special domain names cannot be changed online. The time required to review real-name verification materials varies based on the actual situation.
Materials required to transfer domain name ownership
If you want to transfer a domain name to a new registrant, you must provide materials of the new registrant for real-name verification. The certificates or documents of the current registrant are not required. Before a domain name transfer, we recommend that you check the type of your domain name registrant or your domain name type and prepare the required materials in advance. This facilitates the transfer.
Transfer a single domain name
- Log on to the Alibaba Cloud Domains console. The Domain Name List page appears.
- On the Domain Name List page, find the domain name whose ownership you want to transfer and click its name
to go to the Basic Information page.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Info Modification. The Registrant Info Modification tab appears.
- On the Registrant Info Modification tab, enter the information of the new registrant, or click Use registrant profile to select a registrant profile that has passed real-name verification.
- Read and select the terms of service, and click Save.
- Follow the instructions to transfer the ownership of the specified domain name to the new registrant.
Transfer multiple domain names at the same time
- Log on to the Alibaba Cloud Domains console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose Info Modification tab., or choose to go to the
- On the Bulk Operations page, enter the domain names that you want to transfer. Select Registrant Info and a registrant profile that has passed real-name verification.
- Click Get Verification Code to obtain a verification code, and enter the obtained code in Email Verification Code to complete email security verification.
- Read and select the terms of service, and click Submit.
- Follow the instructions to transfer the ownership of the specified domain names to the new registrant.