This topic describes the billable resources of Elastic Desktop Service (EDS) and the billing methods of the resources.
- Cloud desktop resources: When you use a cloud desktop, you are charged for computing resources (vCPUs, memory, and vGPUs) and storage resources (system disks and data disks).
- AD connectors: If you want to connect EDS to the Active Directory (AD) systems of enterprises, you are charged for AD connectors when you create workspaces.
- Public bandwidth: If your cloud desktops require Internet access, you must enable the Internet access feature for the workspace within which your cloud desktops reside. You are charged for the public bandwidth on a pay-by-traffic or pay-by-bandwidth basis.
- Shared storage: If you want to share files among cloud desktops in the same workspace, you must create an Apsara File Storage NAS (NAS) file system for the workspace. You are charged for the NAS file system based on the amount of used storage.
Billing of cloud desktop resources
Cloud desktop resources include computing and storage resources. Computing resources refer to desktop specifications (vCPUs and memory), and storage resources refer to system disks and data disks. To meet different business requirements, Alibaba Cloud provides a variety of cloud desktop types such as General Purpose, Basic Office, Advanced Office, Performance, and Graphics. These cloud desktop types come with a variety of different storage sizes. For more information, see Cloud desktop types.
The subscription billing method requires you to pay for cloud desktop resources before you use them. A subscription cloud desktop is billed based on the prices of its resources and its subscription period. A subscription period is a billing cycle (UTC+8). The subscription period can be one week, one month, two months, three months, six months, one year, two years, three years, four years, or five years.The billing cycle of a cloud desktop starts when the cloud desktop is created or renewed and ends at 23:59 on the expiration date. For example, if you purchase a cloud desktop for one month at 15:20 on November 20, 2020, the cloud desktop expires at 23:59 on December 20, 2020.Note You cannot continue to use subscription cloud desktops after they expire. After a cloud desktop expires, the resources of the cloud desktop are retained for seven days. If you do not renew the cloud desktop within seven days, the desktop resources are automatically released. For more information about how to renew a cloud desktop, see Renew a subscription cloud desktop.
The pay-as-you-go billing method allows you to pay for cloud desktop resources after you use them. A pay-as-you-go cloud desktop is billed based on the prices of its resources and usage duration. Each usage duration corresponds to a billing cycle. Billing cycles are accurate to the second. The billing cycle of a cloud desktop starts when the cloud desktop is created and its status changes to Running and ends when the cloud desktop is released.
Bills are generated and settled based on a settlement cycle. A settlement cycle starts on the hour and ends on the next hour (UTC+8). Within each settlement cycle, the system generates bills based on the usage of desktop resources and deducts fees from your account. Then, a new settlement cycle begins. If the total value of your account balance and coupons within your Alibaba Cloud account is less than the payable amount on the bill, an email notification is sent to inform you that your account balance is insufficient.Note You are not charged for stopped cloud desktops when you select the pay-as-you-go method. When a cloud desktop is stopped, the desktop configurations are retained, but the system reclaims the computing resources, including vCPUs, memory, and GPUs. During this period, you are charged only for storage resources (system disks and data disks). This helps reduce costs.For example, you purchase and start a pay-as-you-go cloud desktop at 08:45:30 and release it at 10:20:30. If the desktop is not stopped during this period, the bill is calculated based on the following rules:
- The first settlement cycle is from 08:00:00 to 09:00:00. You are charged for the usage from 08:45:30 to 09:00:00, which is 870 seconds.
- The second settlement cycle is from 09:00:00 to 10:00:00. You are charged for the entire hour, which is 3,600 seconds.
- The third settlement cycle is from 10:00:00 to 11:00:00. You are charged for the usage from 10:00:00 to 10:20:30, which is 1,230 seconds.
|Cost||Payment before service. When you subscribe to a cloud desktop for a specific period of time, you must make a full payment upfront. The subscription billing method is more cost-effective than the pay-as-you-go method over longer periods of time.||Payment after service. Resources are billed based on the actual usage. This pay-as-you-go
billing method is accurate to the second, and bills are generated every hour. The
unit price is higher than that of subscription resources.
Note You are not charged for computing resources when a cloud desktop is stopped. You are charged only for storage resources.
|Resource usage||Resources are bound to their subscription periods, and cannot be flexibly created
or released when your business requirements change.
||Resources can be released at any time, allowing you to flexibly create and release resources based on your business requirements.|
|Scenarios||The subscription billing method is suitable for scenarios in which a company has long-term business requirements. For example, the company has full-time employees on site.||The pay-as-you-go billing method is suitable for scenarios in which a company has short-term business requirements. For example, the company has temporary workers such as interns and outsourced employees, or the company is a training institution that needs desktops for a short period of time.|
Billing of AD connectors
You can connect EDS to the AD systems of enterprises to integrate with their existing management systems. To connect to an AD system of an enterprise, you must create a workspace of the enterprise AD account type and create an AD connector.
- Unit price: a fixed price by USD/hour. You can also obtain the unit price per second by converting the hourly unit price.
- Usage duration: Billing for an AD connector starts when the AD connector is created and ends when the AD connector is deleted. The usage duration is accurate to the second.
Billing of public bandwidth
- Pay-by-data-transfer: You are charged for the public bandwidth based on the inbound traffic.
- Pay-by-bandwidth: You are charged for the public bandwidth based on the specified maximum bandwidth value and the usage duration.
Billing of NAS file systems
If you want your cloud desktops within the same workspace to share files among each other, you must create an Apsara File Storage NAS (NAS) file system for the workspace. When you create a NAS file system, the system creates a General-purpose Capacity NAS file system with a capacity of 10 PiB. You are charged for the NAS file system based on the amount of used storage.
NAS file systems are billed on a pay-as-you-go basis. The billing cycle of used storage is one hour, and bills are generated and settled within one hour of the end of each billing cycle. The fees for a NAS file system is calculated based on the following formula: Fees = Unit price × Peak used storage per hour. You can also purchase storage plans to offset the bills for the used storage of NAS file systems. For more information, see Billing of General-purpose NAS file systems.
- Bank card
After your pay-as-you-go resources start to incur fees, Alibaba Cloud pre-authorizes your PayPal account.
- Paytm (India)
This payment method is available only for users in India. After your pay-as-you-go resources start to incur fees, Alibaba Cloud pre-authorizes your Paytm account.
Before you can purchase cloud desktops, you must bind a bank card, PayPal account, or Paytm (India) account to your Alibaba Cloud account. For more information, see Add a payment method.
After you purchase EDS resources, you can view the bills and resource usage information. For more information, see View consumption details.