This topic describes the billable resources of Elastic Desktop Service (EDS) and their corresponding billing methods.
- Cloud desktop resources: When you use a cloud desktop, you are charged for computing resources (vCPUs, memory, and vGPUs) and storage resources (system and data disks).
- AD connectors: If you want to connect EDS to the Active Directory (AD) systems of enterprises, you are charged for AD connectors when you create workspaces.
- Public bandwidth: If your cloud desktops requires Internet access, you must enable the Internet access feature for the workspace within which your cloud desktops reside. In this case, you are charged for the public bandwidth on a pay-by-traffic or pay-by-bandwidth basis.
- Shared storage: If your cloud desktops within the same workspace require file sharing, you must create an Apsara File Storage NAS file system for the workspace. In this case, you are charged for the NAS file system based on the amount of used storage.
Billing of cloud desktop resources
Cloud desktop resources include computing and storage resources. Computing resources refer to desktop specifications (vCPUs and memory), and storage resources include a system disk and a data disk. To meet different business requirements, Alibaba Cloud provides a variety of cloud desktop types such as General Purpose, Basic Office, Advanced Office, Performance, and Graphics. These cloud desktop types come with a variety of different sizes of storage resources. For more information, see Cloud desktop types.
Subscription is a billing method in which you pay for cloud desktop resources in advance before you use them. A subscription cloud desktop is billed based on the prices of its resources and its subscription period. A subscription period is a billing cycle (UTC+8). The subscription period can be one week, one month, two months, three months, six months, one year, two years, three years, four years, or five years.The billing cycle of a cloud desktop starts when the cloud desktop is created or renewed and ends at 23:59 of the expiration date. For example, if you purchase a cloud desktop at 15:20 of November 20, 2020 and specify a subscription duration of one month, the cloud desktop expires at 23:59 of December 20, 2020.Note Subscription cloud desktops cannot be used after they expire. The resources of expired cloud desktops are retained for seven days after expiration. If you do not renew the cloud desktops within the seven days, the desktop resources are automatically released. For information about how to renew a cloud desktop, see Renew a subscription cloud desktop.
Pay-as-you-go is a billing method in which you pay for cloud desktop resources after you use them. A pay-as-you-go cloud desktop is billed based on the prices of its resources and its usage duration. A usage duration is a billing cycle. The usage duration is accurate to the second. The billing cycle of a cloud desktop starts when the cloud desktop is created and its status changes to Running, and ends when the cloud desktop is released.
Bills are generated on the hour (UTC+8). Within each billing cycle, the system generates the bills based on the usage of the desktop resources and deducts fees from your account. Then, a new billing cycle begins. If the total value of your account balance and coupons within your Alibaba Cloud account is less than the payable amount on the bill, an email notification is sent to inform you that your account balance is insufficient.Note Pay-as-you-go cloud desktops support the no fees for stopped cloud desktops feature. During the period in which a cloud desktop is stopped, the cloud desktop is retained, but the system reclaims the computing resources. During this period, you are charged for storage resources, but not the computing resources. This can help reduce your usage costs.For example, you purchase and start a pay-as-you-go cloud desktop at 08:45:30 and release it at 10:20:30. The desktop was not stopped during this period. The bill is calculated based on the following rules:
- The first billing cycle is from 08:00:00 to 09:00:00. You are charged for a billing duration of 870 seconds from 08:45:30 to 09:00:00.
- The second billing cycle is from 09:00:00 to 10:00:00. You are charged for a billing duration of 3,600 seconds for the entire hour.
- The third billing cycle is from 10:00:00 to 11:00:00. You are charged for a billing duration of 1,230 seconds from 10:00:00 to 10:20:30.
|Cost||When you subscribe to a cloud desktop for a specified period, you must make a full payment upfront. However, the subscription billing method is more cost-effective than the pay-as-you-go billing method.||Resources are billed based on their actual usage. The bills of pay-as-you-go resources are accurate to the second and generated by hour. However, the unit price is higher than that of subscription.|
|Resource usage||Resources have specific validity periods (subscription duration) and are less flexible in use.
||Resources are flexible in use and can be released at any time.|
|Scenario||The subscription billing method is suitable for scenarios with consistent business needs such as the work of permanent employees.||The pay-as-you-go billing method is suitable for short-term use scenarios such as temporary work of interns, outsourced employees, and training institutions.|
Billing of AD connectors
You can connect EDS to the AD systems of enterprises to integrate with their existing management systems. To connect to an AD system of an enterprise, you must create a workspace of the enterprise AD account type and pay for it.
- Unit price: a flat rate. Unit: USD/hour. You can also obtain the unit price per second by converting the hourly unit price.
- Usage duration: Billing for an AD connector starts when the AD connector is created and ends when the AD connector is deleted. The usage duration is accurate to the second.
Billing of public bandwidth
- Pay-by-traffic: You are charged for the public bandwidth based on the inbound traffic.
- Pay-by-bandwidth: You are charged for the public bandwidth based on the specified maximum bandwidth value and the usage duration.
Billing of NAS file systems
If you want your cloud desktops within the same workspace to share files among each other, you must create a NAS file system for the workspace. When you create a NAS file system, the system creates a General-purpose Capacity NAS file system with a capacity of 10 PiB. You are charged for the NAS file system based on the amount of used storage.
NAS file systems are billed on a pay-as-you-go basis. The billing cycle of used storage is 1 hour, and bills are generated within 1 hour of the end of each billing cycle. The price for a NAS file system is calculated based on the following formula: Price = Unit price × Peak used storage per hour. You can also purchase storage plans to offset the bills for the used storage of NAS file systems. For more information, see Billing of General-purpose NAS file systems.
- Bank card
After your pay-as-you-go resources start to incur charges, Alibaba Cloud pre-authorizes your PayPal account.
- Paytm (India)
This payment method is available only for users in India. After your pay-as-you-go resources start to incur charges, Alibaba Cloud pre-authorizes your Paytm account.
Before you can purchase cloud desktops, you must bind a bank card, PayPal account, or Paytm (India) account to your Alibaba Cloud account. For more information, see Add a payment method.
After you purchase EDS resources, you can view the bills and consumption information. For more information, see View consumption details.