This topic walks you through the procedure to configure Internet Information Services (IIS) for a Windows Server 2016 instance of the ecs.g6.large instance type. You can use this topic to familiarize yourself with operations in the ECS console.
- Create an account and complete the account information.
- Create an Alibaba Cloud account. For more information, see Sign up with Alibaba Cloud.
- Bind your credit card or PayPal account. For more information, see Add a payment method.
- To purchase ECS instances in mainland China regions, you must complete real-name verification. For more information, see Real-name registration FAQs.
- Optional:Alibaba Cloud provides a default VPC. If you do not want to use the default VPC, you
can create a VPC and a vSwitch in the region where you want to create an instance.For more information, see Create an IPv4 VPC network.
- Optional:Alibaba Cloud provides a default security group. If you do not want to use the default
security group, you can create a security group in the region where the instance is
created.For more information about how to create a security group, see Create a security group.
Step 1: Create an ECS instance
- Go to the Custom Launch tab in the ECS console.
- In the first four configuration steps of the buy page, complete the instance launch
configuration.The following configurations are used in this topic. Keep the default settings for parameters that are not described in this topic.
Step Parameter Example Descripition Basic Configurations Billing Method Pay-As-You-Go The pay-as-you-go billing method allows more flexible operations. For more information, see Billing overview.Note If an ICP filing is required for your domain name, you must select Subscription. Region
- Region: China (Hangzhou)
- Zone: Random
You cannot change the region or zone after the instance is created. Exercise caution when you configure this parameter. Instance Type
- Family: General Purpose Type g6
- Instance Type: ecs.g6.large
Instance types that are available are determined by the region you select and the inventory in the region.
You can go to the ECS Instance Types Available for Each Region page to view the instance types available in each region.
- Type: Public Image
- Version: Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 64-bit
After the instance is created, the operating system and application data of the image is copied to the system disk. Networking VPC [Default]vpc-bp1opxu1zkhn00g****** Resources that are prefixed with [Default] are automatically created in the ECS console. Public IP Address Select this option The system allocates a public IPv4 address if you select Assign Public IP Address. Bandwidth Billing Pay-By-Traffic In Pay-by-traffic mode, bandwidth is billed based on the network usage. For more information, see Public bandwidth. Peak Bandwidth 2 Mbps None Security Group
- Security Group ID: [Default]sg-bp1bhjjsoiyx44******
- Rule: Select ICMP, SSH 22, RDP 3389, HTTP 80, and HTTPS 443.
Resources that are prefixed with [Default] are automatically created in the ECS console. System Configurations (Optional) Logon Credentials Password Record the password. It is the password for the administrator and is required when you connect to the ECS instance. For more information, see the Connect to the ECS instance section. Instance Name
In this topic, EcsQuickStart is used as the instance name. Grouping (Optional) Tags ECS:Documentation If multiple instances are created, we recommend that you add tags to help facilitate management.
- Click Next: Preview. On the Preview step, confirm Configurations Selected or click the icon to modify configurations.
- Optional:Click Save as Launch Template. In the Save as Launch Template dialog box, set Template Name and Version Description.Note Save the configurations selected for the current instance as a launch template. You can create an instance in one click next time by using the template.
- Read and select ECS Terms of Service. Click Create Instance.
- In the Created message, click Console to view the creation progress on the Instances page.If the instance is in the Running state, it is created. Copy the public IP address of the instance to use when you connect to the ECS instance.
Step 2: Add security group rules
If you do not add rules to the default security group when you create an instance or the instance is added to a new security group, perform the following steps:
- Click the instance ID to go to the instance details page.
- On the Instance Details page, click the Security Groups tab, click the ID of a security group, and then go to the details page.
- On the Security Groups Rules page, click the Inbound tab.
- Click Quick Rule Creation and add security group rules as described in the following table. Keep the default
settings for parameters that are not described in this tutorial.
Action Common Port (TCP) Authorized object Allow
- SSH (22)
- RDP (3389)
- HTTP (80)
- HTTPS (443)
- For the Common Port (TCP) section, select the port that must be enabled for the applications that run on the ECS instance. For example, select HTTP 80 when you perform the operations in the Step 4: Configure IIS section.
- 0.0.0.0/0 indicates that devices in all CIDR blocks are allowed to access the specified ports. If you know the IP address of the requester, we recommend that you set Authorization Object to a specific IP address range that contains this IP address.
- Click OK.
Step 3: Connect to the ECS instance
- Go back to the Instances page and find the EcsQuickStart instance.
- In the Actions column, click Connect.
- In the Enter VNC Password dialog box, click Modify VNC Password.
- Modify the password. In the Enter VNC Password dialog box, enter your new password and click OK.
- In the upper-left corner of the VNC page, choose .
- Go to the logon page of the Windows instance and configure the logon credentials.
Step 4: Configure IIS
- Launch Command Prompt.
- Enter powershell to switch to PowerShell.
- Install IIS and the management tools.
Install-WindowsFeature -name Web-Server -IncludeAllSubFeature -IncludeManagementTools
- After IIS is installed, open a web page in the current browser. Enter the public IP
address of the instance in the address bar. Press Enter.
http://<Public IP address of the instance>
Step 5: (Optional) Resolve domain names
Direct access to IIS by using the public IP address of the instance may degrade server security. If you have an existing domain name or want to register one, perform the following steps:
- Register the domain name.For more information, see Register a generic domain name.
- If the website to which the domain name points is hosted on an ECS instance in a mainland China region, you must apply for an ICP filing for the domain name.
- Resolve the domain name to point to the public IP address of the instance.Domain name resolution is a prerequisite for using domain names to access your website. For more information about the procedures, see Add and manage records.
- Use the resolved domain name to access IIS. Example: https://ecs-quickstarts.info.
Step 6: (Optional) Release the ECS instance
You can release the instance if you no longer need it. After the instance is released, billing stops and data cannot be recovered.
- Go back to the Instances page and find the EcsQuickStart instance.
- In the Actions column, choose .
- In the Release dialog box, set Release Mode to Release Now and click Next.
- Verify the instance to be released and then click OK.
Step 7: View bills
- In the top navigation bar, choose .
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- Set Search By to Instance ID. Enter the ID of the EcsQuickStart instance. Press the Enter key to start the search.
What to do next
- For more information about ECS instance families that are available for purchase, see Instance families.
- For more information about how to create an ECS instance, see Creation method overview.
- For more information about images, see Image overview.
- For more information about security groups, see Overview.
- For more information about VPCs, see What is a VPC?
- For more information about the common operations of ECS, see Quick reference.
- For more information about the APIs operations provided by ECS, see List of operations by function.