This tutorial walks you through the procedure to configure Apache for an ecs.g6.large instance that runs the Alibaba Cloud Linux 2.1903 LTS 64-bit operating system. You can use this tutorial to familiarize yourself with operations in the ECS console.
- Create an account and complete the account information.
- Create an Alibaba Cloud account. For more information, see Sign up with Alibaba Cloud.
- Add your credit card or PayPal account. For more information, see Add a payment method.
- To purchase ECS instances in mainland China regions, you must complete real-name verification. For more information, see Real-name verification FAQs.
- Optional:Alibaba Cloud provides a default VPC. If you do not want to use the default VPC, you
can create a VPC and a vSwitch in the region where you want to create an ECS instance.For more information, see Create an IPv4 VPC network.
- Optional:Alibaba Cloud provides a default security group. If you do not want to use the default
security group, you can create a security group in the region where you want to create
an ECS instance.For more information, see Create a security group.
Step 1: Create an ECS instance
- Go to the Custom Launch tab in the ECS console.
- In the first four steps of the instance creation wizard on the Custom Launch tab,
complete the instance configurations.The following configurations are used in this tutorial. Accept the default settings for parameters that are not described in this tutorial.
Step Parameter Example Description Basic Configurations Billing Method Pay-As-You-Go The pay-as-you-go billing method allows more flexible operations. For more information, see Billing overview.Note If an ICP filing is required for your domain name, you must select Subscription. Region
- Region: China (Hangzhou)
- Zone: Random
You cannot change the region or zone after the instance is created. Exercise caution when you configure this parameter. Instance Type
- Family: General Purpose Type g6
- Instance Type: ecs.g6.large
Instance types that are available are determined by the region that you select and the resource inventory in the region.
You can go to the ECS Instance Types Available for Each Region page to view the instance types available in each region.
- Type: Public Image
- Version: Alibaba Cloud Linux 2.1903 LTS 64-bit
After the instance is created, the operating system and application data of the image is copied to the system disk. Networking VPC [Default]vpc-bp1opxu1zkhn00g**** Select an existing VPC. Resources that are automatically created in the ECS console have the prefix [Default]. Public IP Address Assign Public IPv4 Address The system allocates a public IPv4 address if you select Assign Public IP Address. Bandwidth Billing Pay-By-Traffic In pay-by-traffic mode, the instance is billed for data transfer over the Internet based on the amount of data transferred. For more information, see Public bandwidth. Peak Bandwidth 2 Mbps N/A. Security Group [Default]sg-bp1bhjjsoiyx44hd**** Select an existing security group. Resources that are automatically created in the ECS console have the prefix [Default]. System Configurations (Optional) Logon Credentials Password Password is selected in this tutorial. You must set a password for remote connection and logon to the ECS instance. Logon Password Ecs123456 If you set Logon Credentials to Password, you must set the Logon Password and Confirm Password parameters. You must use the
rootusername and corresponding password that you set when you connect to the ECS instance.
In this tutorial, EcsQuickStart is used as the instance name. Grouping (Optional) Tags ECS:Documentation If multiple instances are created, we recommend that you bind tags to these instances to facilitate management.
- Click Next: Preview. In the Preview step, confirm the configurations in the Configurations Selected section or click the icon to modify configurations.
- Optional:Click Save as Launch Template. In the Save as Launch Template dialog box, set Template Name and Version Description.Note Save the instance configurations that you made as a launch template. You can create an instance by using the template without the need to configure the specified parameters again.
- Read and select ECS Terms of Service. Click Create Instance.
- In the Created message, click Console to view the creation progress on the Instances page.If the instance is in the Running state, it is created. Copy the public IP address of the instance to use when you connect to the ECS instance.
Step 2: Add security group rules
If you did not add rules to the default security group or added the instance to a new security group when you create the instance, perform the following steps:
- Click the instance ID to go to the instance details page.
- On the Instance Details page, click the Security Groups tab. Click the ID of a security group to go to the security group details page.
- On the Security Groups Rules page, click the Inbound tab.
- Click Quick Add to add security group rules as described in the following table. Accept the default
settings for parameters that are not described in this tutorial.
Action Port Range Authorization object Allow
- SSH 22
- RDP 3389
- HTTP 80
- HTTPS 443
- For Port Range, select the ports that need to be enabled for applications that run on the ECS instance. For example, if you want to use SSH and Apache in the Step 4: Configure Apache section, select SSH (22) and HTTP (80) in this step. Otherwise, the instance does not respond in subsequent operations.
- 0.0.0.0/0 indicates that all CIDR blocks are allowed to access the specified ports. If you know the IP address of the requester, we recommend that you set Authorization Object to a specific IP address range that contains this IP address.
- Click OK.
Step 3: Connect to the ECS instance
- Go back to the Instances page and find the EcsQuickStart instance.
- In the Actions column, click Connect.
- In the Enter VNC Password dialog box, click Modify VNC Password.
- Modify the password. In the Enter VNC Password dialog box, enter your new password and click OK.
- Configure the logon credentials.
- test login: Enter root.
- Password: Enter the Logon Password value that you set in the Logon Credentials section when you create the instance.
Ecs123456is used in this tutorial.
Step 4: Configure Apache
- Install Apache.
yum install -y httpd
- Start Apache.
systemctl start httpd
- Configure Apache to run on system startup.
systemctl enable httpd
- Check whether Apache is running.
systemctl status httpdIf
active (running)is returned, Apache is running.
- Open a web page in the current browser. Enter the public IP address of the instance
in the address bar. Press the Enter key.
http://<Public IP address of the instance>
Step 5: (Optional) Resolve domain names
Direct access to Apache by using the public IP address of the instance may compromise server security. If you already have a domain name or want to register one for the Apache website, perform the following steps:
- Register the domain name.For more information, see Register a generic domain name.
- If the website to which the domain name points is hosted on an ECS instance in a mainland China region, you must apply for an ICP filing for the domain name.
- Resolve the domain name to point to the public IP address of the instance.Domain name resolution is a prerequisite for using domain names to access your website. For more information about the procedures, see Add and manage records.
- Use the resolved domain name to access Apache. Example: https://ecs-quickstarts.info.
Step 6: (Optional) Release the ECS instance
You can release the instance if you no longer need it. After the instance is released, billing stops and its data cannot be recovered.
- Go back to the Instances page and find the EcsQuickStart instance.
- In the Actions column, choose .
- In the Release dialog box, set Release Mode to Release Now and click Next.
- In the Release message, verify the instance to be released and click OK.
Step 7: View bills
- In the top navigation bar, choose .
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose Details tab.. On the Bills page, click the
- Set Instance Name to EcsQuickStart and press the Enter key to start a search.
What to do next
- For more information about ECS instance families that are available for purchase, see Instance families.
- For more information about how to create an ECS instance, see Creation method overview.
- For more information about images, see Image overview.
- For more information about security groups, see Overview.
- For more information about VPCs, see What is a VPC?.
- For more information about the common operations of ECS, see Quick reference.
- For more information about the APIs operations provided by ECS, see List of API operations by function.