This topic describes how to delete security groups that are no longer needed. When a security group is deleted, its rules are also deleted.
- The security group that you want to delete does not contain Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instances. If the security group that you want to delete contains ECS instances, you must remove the instances from the security group. For more information, see Remove an instance from a security group.
- The security group is not referenced by rules of other security groups. If the security group is referenced by rules of other security groups, you must delete those rules as prompted. For more information, see Delete a security group rule.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- In the top navigation bar, select a region.
- On the Security Groups page, select one or more security groups and click Delete in the lower part of the security group list.
- In the Delete Security Group message, confirm the information and click OK.