Data Transmission Service (DTS) supports data transmission among data sources such as RDBMS, NoSQL, and OLAP databases. DTS provides features such as data synchronization, data migration, change tracking, data integration, and data transformation. You can use DTS to build an architecture that boasts security, scalability, and high availability.
To meet various requirements, DTS provides several data replication modes.
|Data migration||In this mode, DTS migrates your data between data stores. This mode is typically used for one-time migrations that require minimal downtime. During incremental data migration in this mode, ongoing changes in the source database are synchronized to the destination database in real time.|
|Data Integration||In this mode, you can schedule data migration tasks to migrate data on a regular basis. This mode is typically used for periodic migrations in a large data warehousing system. For example, you can schedule a daily data migration that transfers the transactional data collected during the day to a data warehouse every night.|
|Data synchronization||In this mode, DTS replicates changes between data stores in real time. This mode is usually used for data replication between databases in a distributed system, for example, for redundancy and high availability. It supports both one-way and two-way replications. Compared with the incremental data migration phase of data migration, the data synchronization mode delivers higher performance and lower latency.|
|Change tracking||In this mode, DTS captures your changes and exposes the stream of changes as a publish/subscribe service.|
You can create and manage DTS instances, configure tasks, and perform instance O&M in the DTS console.
Instances and tasks
DTS provisions required resources for your replication workloads in the form of an instance. Instances are available in different instance sizes and billing methods. Different instance sizes deliver different data transmission capacities to meet your performance requirements. You are charged for the DTS service based on your instance size and the billing method you have selected.
A task contains the configuration of a data replication workload, such as the connections to the source and destination data stores. You can view the task state to track the progress of your replication workloads. A task can be created in one of the replication modes. In data synchronization mode, an instance can support two two-way data synchronization tasks. In other replication modes, an instance can support only one task. After a task is created, its data replication mode cannot be changed. If you want to change the data replication mode of a task, you must stop the task, then create a new instance and an associated task in the desired replication mode.
For different data replication modes, the procedure for creating instances and tasks is different. For example, when you use the data migration mode, you can create both an instance and a task at the same time. In data synchronization or change tracking mode, you can create an instance first and then create a task for the instance.
Related Alibaba Cloud services
- Elastic Compute Service (ECS): Self-managed databases hosted on ECS instances can serve as the data sources for data migration, data synchronization, and change tracking.
- ApsaraDB RDS: ApsaraDB RDS is a stable, reliable, and scalable online database service. ApsaraDB RDS provides various solutions for disaster recovery, backup, restoration, and migration to facilitate database O&M.
- PolarDB: PolarDB is a next-generation relational database service that is developed by Alibaba Cloud. PolarDB is compatible with the MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Oracle database engines. PolarDB provides superior performance in storage and computing to meet diverse requirements of enterprises. Each PolarDB cluster provides a storage capacity of up to 100 TB and supports up to 16 nodes.
- Distributed Relational Database Service (DRDS): is developed by Alibaba Group to address the bottleneck of standalone database services. DRDS is compatible with MySQL protocols and syntax. DRDS supports automatic sharding, online smooth scaling, auto scaling, and transparent read/write splitting. DRDS provides O&M capabilities throughout the lifecycle of databases.
- ApsaraDB for Redis: ApsaraDB for Redis is an online key-value storage service that has high performance and is compatible with open source Redis protocols.
- ApsaraDB for MongoDB: ApsaraDB for MongoDB is a MongoDB-compatible database service that is developed based on the Apsara distributed operating system and a high-reliability storage engine. ApsaraDB for MongoDB uses a multi-node architecture to ensure high availability, and supports elastic scaling, disaster recovery, backup and restoration, and performance optimization.