This topic describes the background information and benefits of AliPG.
PostgreSQL is an advanced open source enterprise-grade database service. PostgreSQL won the DBMS of the Year in the DB-Engines ranking in 2017 and 2018. In 2019, PostgreSQL won the O'Reilly Open Source Convention award (OSCON). In 2020, PostgreSQL once again was awarded as the DBMS of the Year.
Alibaba Cloud offers two PostgreSQL-compatible database services that run AliPG: ApsaraDB RDS and ApsaraDB for MyBase. AliPG is a unified database engine that is developed by Alibaba Cloud. Since the commercial rollout of AliPG in 2015, AliPG has been running stably for years and processed a large volume of workloads within Alibaba Group and for Alibaba Cloud customers. AliPG supports the following major PostgreSQL versions: 9.4, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14.
AliPG-running Alibaba Cloud database services
- ApsaraDB RDS
- ApsaraDB for MyBase
Major PostgreSQL versions supported
- PostgreSQL 14
- PostgreSQL 13
- PostgreSQL 12
- PostgreSQL 11
- PostgreSQL 10
- PostgreSQL 9.4
AliPG is developed based on insights into the industry requirements and helps customers expand business boundaries.
AliPG has the following advantages over open source PostgreSQL:
- Faster speed
- Image recognition and vector similarity-based searches are tens of thousands of times faster on AliPG than on open source PostgreSQL. For more information, see Image recognition, similarity-based retrieval, and similarity-based audience spotting.
- Marketing and user profiling in real time are thousands of times faster on AliPG than on open source PostgreSQL. For more information, see Real-time precision marketing (user selection).
- The GIS-based Mod operator on AliPG processes mobile objects 50 times faster than the Mod operator on open source PostGIS. For more information, see Overview.
- Higher stability
AliPG uses the Platform as a Service (PaaS) architecture. This architecture allows you to transform traditional software from license-based services to subscription-based services. You can manage a large amount of metadata, optimize connections, and efficiently isolate resources. In addition, each RDS instance supports tens of thousands of schemas.
- Higher security
- AliPG is certified based on leading national and international security standards, which empowers enterprises to increase institutional security scores in the financing and listing phases.
- AliPG provides the following security enhancements:
- Encrypts sensitive data that contains passwords. The sensitive data includes dynamic views, shared memory, the dblink plug-in, historical commands, and audit logs.
- Fixes the function-related bugs that are found in open source PostgreSQL.
- Supports fully encrypted databases. For more information, see Fully encrypted databases.
- Supports the semi-synchronous mode. This mode allows you to specify one of the following protection levels for your RDS instance: maximum protection, maximum availability, and maximum performance. For more information, see Set the protection level of an ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL instance.
- Supports the failover slot feature. This feature prevents primary/secondary switchovers from affecting the reliability of logical replication. For more information, see Logical Replication Slot Failover.
- Higher flexibility and controllability. For more information, see What is ApsaraDB for MyBase?
- AliPG grants you the permissions to manage the operating systems on hosts in dedicated clusters.
- AliPG allows you to customize overcommit ratios in the development, test, and staging environments. For example, you can specify 128 cores for a host that provides only 64 cores. This way, you can exclusively occupy resources in the production environment to reduce the overall costs.