This topic describes how to change the specifications of an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance, including the edition, instance type, and storage capacity.
For more information about how to change specifications in other database engines, see the following topics:
- Change the specifications of an ApsaraDB RDS for SQL Server instance
- Change the specifications of an ApsaraDB RDS for PostgreSQL instance
- Change the specifications of an ApsaraDB RDS for PPAS instance
- Change the specifications of an ApsaraDB RDS for MariaDB TX instance
Your Alibaba Cloud account does not have overdue renewal orders.
|Change item||Description||Change method||Billing|
In MySQL 5.7, you can change your RDS edition from Basic to High-availability, or from High-availability to Enterprise. Your instance edition cannot be rolled back after the change is completed.
|For more information, see Procedure.||For more information, see Specification change fees.|
|Instance type||You can switch to any available instance type.|
|Storage capacity||You can increase the storage capacity of all RDS instances.
If your RDS instance uses subscription billing and local SSDs and you choose the change upon renewal method, the storage capacity can only be decreased.
|Storage type||When you change the ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL 5.7 instance edition from Basic to High-availability, the storage type of the instance can be changed from standard SSD to local SSD.|
You can migrate an instance across zones in the same region. The attributes, configurations, and endpoints of the instance remain unchanged after the migration.
When you change the ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL 5.7 instance edition from High-availability to Enterprise, you must change the zone of the instance. For more information, see Procedure.
Note You must migrate data when you change zones. A larger data volume requires more time to complete data migration.
|Migrate an ApsaraDB RDS MySQL instance across zones||Free of charge.|
|Primary/secondary switchover||A primary instance can be automatically or manually switched to a secondary instance.||Manually or automatically switch over services between the RDS MySQL master and slave instances|
|Network type||All instances can be deployed in VPCs, and some instances can also be deployed in the classic network. You can switch the network type of instances that support both network types.||Change the network type of an ApsaraDB RDS MySQL instance|
|VPC and VSwitch||You can change the VPC or VSwitch for some instances.||Switch to a new VPC and VSwitch for an RDS MySQL instance|
|Maintenance window||You can change the maintenance window of an instance.||Set the maintenance window of an ApsaraDB RDS MySQL instance|
|Data replication mode||You can modify the data replication mode of an instance to improve database availability.||Changes the data replication mode of an ApsaraDB RDS MySQL system|
|Instance parameter||You can modify instance parameters.||For more information, see Reconfigure the parameters of an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance or Use a parameter template to manage parameters.|
|Engine version||The database engine version can only be upgraded from MySQL 5.5 to MySQL 5.6.||Upgrade the database engine version of an RDS MySQL instance|
|Billing method||The billing method of an instance can be switched between pay-as-you-go and subscription.
Note You can only switch the billing method of a read-only instance from subscription to pay-as-you-go.
|Switch the billing method from pay-as-you-go to subscription||For more information, see Pricing, billing items, and billing methods.|
|Region||You cannot switch the region of an instance. Instead, you can create a new instance in the destination region and use Data Transmission Service (DTS) to migrate data from the source instance to the destination instance. After the data is migrated, you must modify the service endpoint. After your service is running normally, you can release the source instance.||For more information, see Migrate data between ApsaraDB for RDS instances.||For more information, see Pricing, billing items, and billing methods and Pricing.|
- Specification changes do not change endpoints.
- You can create read-only instances to scale the read capability of your database system. For more information, see Create an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL read-only instance.
- Data may be migrated after you change specifications. After the migration is completed, the instance performs switchover during the scheduled time period. Incremental data is also synchronized during the switchover. A transient disconnection of about 30 seconds may occur, during which operations related to databases, accounts, and networks cannot be performed. We recommend that you change specifications within the maintenance window and make sure that your application is configured with automatic reconnection policies.
- You do not need to manually restart the instance after the specifications are changed.
- You can only create a single primary RDS instance for a Basic Edition instance. No secondary instances are provided as hot backups. If the primary instance breaks down, is executing specification changes, or is upgrading its version, it may remain unavailable until the operations are done. If you require high service availability, we recommend that you use the High-availability, Cluster, or Enterprise Edition.
- Log on to the ApsaraDB for RDS console.
- In the upper-left corner of the page, select the region where the instance resides.
- Find the target RDS instance and click the instance ID.
- In the Configuration Information section of the Basic Information page, click Change Specifications.
- In the dialog box that appears, select a change method and click Next. This step is only required for subscription instances.
Note For more information about how to change specifications, see Change items.
- Change the specifications of the RDS instance. For more information, see Change items.
- Specify the time to change the instance specifications.
- Switch Immediately After Data Migration: The system executes the specification changes immediately after data migration is complete.
- Switch Within Maintenance Window: The system executes the specification changes during the maintenance window you
specify. For more information, see Set the maintenance window of an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance.
Note If you want to change the maintenance window, follow these steps:
- Click Modify.
- In the Configuration Information section of the Basic Information page that appears, select a maintenance window and click Save.
- Return to the Change Specifications page, refresh it, and continue to change specifications.
- How do I change the storage type of my RDS instance?
For more information, see How to change a cloud disk to a local disk
- Do I need to migrate data to a new instance if I only want to expand the storage capacity?
Check whether the storage capacity of the host where the RDS instance resides is sufficient. If yes, you can expand the storage capacity without migrating data. If no, you must migrate data to a new instance located on a host with sufficient storage capacity.
- Will the specifications of read-only instances be upgraded automatically after I upgrade
the specifications of their primary RDS instance?
No, you must upgrade the specifications of read-only instances manually.
- Will my online services be interrupted while I change the specifications of my RDS
While you change the specifications of your RDS instance, only a 30-second transient disconnection may occur.
- Will the endpoints and addresses of my RDS instance change after I change its specifications?
After you change the specifications of your RDS instance, its internal and public endpoints and read/write splitting endpoint remain unchanged, but the corresponding IP addresses may change. We recommend that you use the internal endpoint, public endpoint, or read/write splitting endpoint of your RDS instance to establish a connection from your application.