This topic describes how to change the specifications including edition, type, storage capacity, storage type, and zone of an ApsaraDB RDS MySQL instance.
For more information about how to change specifications in other database engines, see the following topics:
- Change the configuration of an RDS SQL Server instance
- Change the configuration of an RDS PostgreSQL instance
- Change the configuration of an RDS PPAS instance
- Change the configuration of an RDS MariaDB instance
This topic describes the change immediately method. This method is supported for both subscription and pay-as-you-go instances. The new specifications take effect immediately after you make the change.
In MySQL 5.7, you can switch from Basic to High-availability Editions or from High-availability to Enterprise Editions.
You can switch to any instance type available.
You can increase the storage capacity of all RDS instances.
If you choose the change upon renewal method, you can only decrease the storage capacity if your RDS instance uses subscription billing and local SSDs.
|Storage Type||In MySQL 5.7, the storage type of the RDS instance changes from Standard SSD to Local SSD after you switch from Basic to High-availability Editions.|
For more information, see Specification change fees.
Your Alibaba Cloud account does not have overdue renewal orders.
- While you change specifications, a 30-second transient disconnection may occur and most of the operations on databases, accounts, and network settings are unavailable. We recommend that you change specifications during off-peak hours or make sure that your application is configured to automatically reconnect to the RDS instance.
- In the Basic Edition, you can only create one primary RDS instance. No secondary instances are provided as hot backups. If the primary instance breaks down, is executing specification changes, or is upgrading its version, it may remain unavailable until the operations are done. If you require high service availability, we recommend that you use the High-availability, Cluster, or Enterprise Edition.
- Log on to the ApsaraDB for RDS console.
- In the upper-left corner of the page, select the region where the target RDS instance resides.
- Find the target RDS instance and click its ID.
- In the Configuration Information section of the Basic Information page, click Change Specifications.
- In the dialog box that appears, select a change method and click Next. This step is only required for subscription instances.
- Change the specifications of the RDS instance. For more information, see Change items.
- Specify the Switching Time.
- Switch Immediately After Data Migration: The system executes the specification changes immediately after data migration is complete.
- Switch Within Maintenance Window: The system executes the specification changes during the maintenance window you
specify. For more information, see Set the maintenance window of an RDS PPAS instance.
Note If you want to change the maintenance window, follow these steps:
- Click Modify.
- In the Configuration Information section of the Basic Information page that appears, select a maintenance window and click Save.
- Return to the Change Specifications page, refresh it, and continue to change specifications as needed.
- On the Change Specifications page, read and confirm Product Terms of Service by selecting the check box, click Confirm, and complete the payment.
- How do I change the storage type of my RDS instance?
For more information, see How do I change an SSD to a local SSD?.
- Do I need to migrate data to a new instance if I only want to expand the storage capacity?
Check whether the host where the RDS instance resides has sufficient storage capacity. If yes, you can expand the storage capacity without migrating data. If no, you must migrate data to a new instance located on a host with sufficient storage capacity.
- Will the specifications of read-only instances be upgraded automatically after I upgrade
the specifications of their primary RDS instance?
No, you must upgrade the specifications of read-only instances manually.
- Will online services be interrupted when I change the specifications of my RDS instance?
A 30-second transient disconnection may occur while you change specifications.
- Will the endpoints change after I change the specifications of my RDS instance?
The internal endpoint, public endpoint, and read/write splitting address of your RDS instance remain unchanged, but its IP addresses may change. For more information, see View the internal and public endpoints and ports of an RDS MySQL instance and Enable read/write splitting for an RDS MySQL instance. We recommend that you add the internal endpoint, public endpoint, or read/write splitting address to your application to establish a connection with the RDS instance.