This topic describes how to change the specifications of an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance, including the RDS edition, instance type, and storage capacity.
Your Alibaba Cloud account does not have overdue renewal orders.
For more information about how to change specifications in other database engines, see the following topics:
|Change item||Description||Change method||Billing|
MySQL 5.7: You can change your RDS edition from Basic to High-availability or from High-availability to Enterprise. Your RDS edition cannot be rolled back after the change is complete.
|For more information, see Procedure.||For more information, see Specification change fees.|
|Instance type||You can change to any available instance type.|
|Storage capacity||You can increase the storage capacity of all RDS instances.
|Storage type||When you change the edition of an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL 5.7 instance from Basic to High-availability, you can change the storage type of the RDS instance from standard SSD or ESSD to local SSD.|
You can migrate an RDS instance across zones in the same region. The attributes, configurations, and endpoints of the RDS instance remain unchanged after the migration.
When you change the edition of an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL 5.7 instance from High-availability to Enterprise, you must change the zone of the RDS instance. For more information, see Procedure.
Note You must migrate data when you change zones. A larger data volume requires more time to complete the migration.
|Migrate an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance across zones in the same region||Free of charge.|
|Primary/secondary switchover||You can perform a manual or automatic switchover of services between primary and secondary RDS instances. After the switchover, the primary RDS instance becomes the secondary RDS instance.||Perform a manual or automatic switchover of services between a primary ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance and its secondary instance|
|Network type||All RDS instances can be deployed in virtual private clouds (VPCs), and some RDS instances can also be deployed in the classic network. You can change the network type of an RDS instance that supports both network types.||Change the network type of an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance|
|VPC and VSwitch||You can change the VPC or VSwitch for some RDS instances.||Switch to a new VPC and VSwitch for an RDS MySQL instance|
|Maintenance window||You can change the maintenance window of an RDS instance.||Set the maintenance window of an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance|
|Data replication mode||You can change the data replication mode of an RDS instance to improve database availability.||Change the data replication mode of an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance|
|Instance parameter||You can reconfigure some parameters based on your business requirements.||For more information, see Reconfigure the parameters of an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance or Use a parameter template to manage parameters.|
|Database engine version||The database engine can only be upgraded from MySQL 5.5 to MySQL 5.6.||Upgrade the database engine version of an RDS MySQL instance|
|Billing method||The billing method of an RDS instance can be switched between pay-as-you-go and subscription.
Note Read-only RDS instances support only pay-as-you-go billing.
|Switch the billing method from pay-as-you-go to subscription||For more information, see Pricing, billable items, and billing methods.|
|Region||You cannot change the region of an existing RDS instance. Instead, you can create an RDS instance in the destination region and use Data Transmission Service (DTS) to migrate data from the existing RDS instance to the new RDS instance. After the data is migrated, you must update the endpoint for your application. After you confirm that your business runs normally, you can release the existing RDS instance.||Migrate data between ApsaraDB for RDS instances||For more information, see Pricing, billing items, and billing methods and Pricing.|
- Changing the preceding items does not change the endpoint of the RDS instance.
- You can create read-only RDS instances to scale the read capability of your database system. For more information, see Create a read-only ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance.
For more information, see Specification change fees.
- Data may be migrated after you change the specifications of an RDS instance. After the migration is complete, the RDS instance switches over services during the scheduled time period. The switchover does not interrupt the synchronization of incremental data. During a switchover, a 30-second brief disconnection may occur. In addition, operations related to databases, accounts, and networks cannot be performed. We recommend that you change the specifications during off-peak hours or make sure that your application is configured to automatically reconnect to your RDS instance.
- After you change the specifications of an RDS instance, you do not need to manually restart the RDS instance.
- In the RDS Basic Edition, the database system consists of only one primary RDS instance, and no secondary RDS instances are provided as hot backups. If the primary RDS instance breaks down, is undergoing specification changes, or is upgrading, it becomes unavailable until the operations are done. If you require high database availability, we recommend that you use the RDS High-availability, Cluster, or Enterprise Edition.
- Log on to the ApsaraDB for RDS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Instances. In the top navigation bar, select the region where your RDS instance resides.
- Find your RDS instance and click its ID.
- Click Change Specifications.
- In the dialog box that appears, select a change method and click Next. This step is required only for subscription instances. Note You can select Upgrade or Downgrade for both subscription and pay-as-you-go instances. The new specifications immediately take effect.
- Change the specifications of the RDS instance. For more information, see Change items.
- Specify Switching Time.
- Switch Immediately After Data Migration: The system switches over services immediately after data migration is complete.
- Switch Within Maintenance Window: The system switches over services during the maintenance window that you specify. For more information, see Set the maintenance window of an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance.
- On the Change Specifications page, read and select Terms of Service, and click Pay Now.
- How do I change the storage type of my RDS instance?
For more information, see How to change a cloud disk to a local disk.
- Do I need to migrate data to a new RDS instance if I only want to expand the storage
Check whether the storage capacity of the host where your current RDS instance resides is sufficient. If yes, you can expand the storage capacity without migrating data. If no, you must migrate data to a new RDS instance located on a host with sufficient storage capacity.
- Will the specifications of read-only instances be upgraded automatically after I upgrade
the specifications of their primary RDS instance?
No, you must manually upgrade the specifications of read-only instances.
- Will my online services be interrupted while I change the specifications of my RDS
While you change the specifications of your RDS instance, only a 30-second brief disconnection may occur during the subsequent switchover.
- Will the endpoints of my RDS instance change after I change its specifications?
After you change the specifications of your RDS instance, the internal and public endpoints and read/write splitting endpoint of your RDS instance remain unchanged, but the bound IP addresses may change. We recommend that you use the internal endpoint, public endpoint, or read/write splitting endpoint of your RDS instance to establish a connection from your application.
|ModifyDBInstanceSpec||Changes the specifications of an RDS instance.|