This topic describes how to change the configuration of an RDS for MySQL instance, including changing the edition, specifications, storage capacity, storage class, and zone.
You can upgrade or downgrade the configuration of an RDS for MySQL instance at any time regardless of whether the instance uses the subscription or pay-as-you-go billing method. The new configuration takes effect immediately after you complete the configuration upgrade or downgrade.
You can change the specifications of any RDS instance.
You can increase the storage capacity of any RDS instance.
You can only decrease the storage capacity of a subscription-based instance with local SSDs during instance renewal.
|Storage class||When you change the MySQL 5.7 DB engine of an RDS instance from Basic Edition to High-availability Edition, the storage class changes from SSD to local SSD.|
|Zone||When you switch the MySQL 5.6 DB engine of an RDS instance between High-availability
Edition to Enterprise Edition, you must also change the zone of the RDS instance.
Note Changing the zone requires data migration. A larger data volume indicates a longer migration time.
For more information, see Billing details about configuration change.
Your Alibaba Cloud account does not have an unpaid renewal order.
- When the new configuration is taking effect, the RDS instance may be disconnected for about 30 seconds and most operations related to databases, accounts, and networks cannot be performed. Therefore, we recommend that you change the configuration during off-peak hours or make sure that your application can automatically reconnect to the RDS instance.
- If the RDS instance is in the Basic Edition (which has no slave node as hot backup), it becomes unavailable for a long time during the configuration change. Therefore, if you have high requirements for database availability, we recommend that you select an edition higher than the Basic Edition. For example, you can select the High-availability Edition.
- Log on to the RDS console.
- In the upper-left corner, select the region where the target RDS instance is located.
- Find the target RDS instance and click the instance ID.
- On the Basic information page, find the Configuration Information section and click Change Specifications.
- Optional. If the RDS instance uses the subscription billing method, click Next in the displayed dialog box.
- On the Change Specifications page, change the instance configuration. For more information, see Configuration items.
- Specify the time at which you want to change the configuration.
Note To change the maintenance window, follow these steps:
- Switch Immediately After Data Migration: Change the configuration immediately after the data migration.
- Switch Within Maintenance Window: Change the configuration during the maintenance window.
- Click Modify.
- In the Configuration Information section, select a maintenance window and click Save.
- Go back to the Change Specifications page, refresh the page, and change the configuration again.
- How can I change the storage class (local SSD, SSD, or ESSD) of an RDS instance?
- Do I need to migrate data if I only want to expand the storage capacity of an RDS
Check whether the server where the RDS instance is located provides sufficient storage capacity for expansion. If yes, you do not need to migrate data and can directly expand the storage capacity. If no, you must migrate data to a server that provides sufficient storage capacity before you expand the storage capacity.