This topic describes how to create a custom route table. A route table consists of one or more route entries. Each route entry specifies the destination network to which traffic is routed. You can create a custom route table to manage the inbound and outbound network traffic of subnets in a Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) network.
- Log on to the VPC console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Route Tables.
- Select the region where you want to create a route table.
Note Custom route tables are applicable in all regions except China (Beijing), China (Shenzhen), and China (Hangzhou).
- On the Route Tables page, click Create Route Table.
- In the Create Route Table dialog box that appears, set the following parameters and click OK.
Parameter Description Resource Group Select the resource group to which the route table belongs. VPC Select the VPC network to which the route table belongs.
If a VPC network contains an Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instance that belongs to one of the following instance families, you cannot create a custom route table for the VPC network.
ecs.c1, ecs.c2, ecs.c4, ecs.ce4, ecs.cm4, ecs.d1, ecs.e3, ecs.e4, ecs.ga1, ecs.gn4, ecs.gn5, ecs.i1, ecs.m1, ecs.m2, ecs.mn4, ecs.n1, ecs.n2, ecs.n4, ecs.s1, ecs.s2, ecs.s3, ecs.se1, ecs.sn1, ecs.sn2, ecs.t1, and ecs.xn4.To create a custom route table, you must upgrade or release ECS instances that do not support VPC advanced features.
Note If your VPC network contains ECS instances of the preceding instance families and uses a custom route table, you must upgrade or release the instance. Otherwise, the custom route table cannot work as expected. For more information, see VPC advanced features overview.
- For more information about how to upgrade an ECS instance, see Upgrade configurations of subscription instances and Change the instance type of a pay-as-you-go instance.
- For more information about how to release an ECS instance, see Release an instance.
Name Enter a name for the route table that you want to create.
The name must be 2 to 128 characters in length and can contain letters, Chinese characters, digits, underscores (_), and hyphens (-). It must start with a letter or Chinese character.
Description Enter a description for the route table that you want to create.
The description must be 2 to 256 characters in length and cannot start with
https://.After you create a custom route table, you can go to the Route Tables page to check the custom route table. The type of the route table is displayed as Custom in the Route Table Type column.The following system route entries are automatically added to the custom route table:
For example, you have created two VSwitches whose CIDR blocks are 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.0.0/24. These VSwitches are deployed in the VPC network whose CIDR block is 192.168.0.0/16. The custom route table that you have created for your VPC network includes the following route entries:
- A route destined for the CIDR block 100.64.0.0/10. This route is used for communication among cloud resources over the VPC network.
- A route destined for the CIDR block of a VSwitch of the VPC network to which the route table belongs. This route is used for communication among resources attached to the VSwitch.
Destination CIDR block Next hop Type 100.64.0.0/10 - System routes 192.168.1.0/24 - System routes 192.168.0.0/24 - System routes