This topic describes best practices for the protection rules engine provided by Web Application Firewall (WAF).
WAF protects your website against web attacks, such as SQL injections, XSS attacks, remote code executions, and webshell attacks. For more information about web attacks, see Definitions of common web vulnerabilities.
Configure protection policies
- Status: Turn on or off the switch to enable or disable the protection rules engine. This engine is enabled by default.
- Mode: Select the action that you want WAF to take on requests when WAF detects attacks.
- Block: WAF automatically blocks requests and logs attacks in the backend.
- Warn: WAF does not block requests but logs attacks in the backend.
- Protection Rule Group: Select a group of protection rules that you want to apply. Valid values:
Note These settings take effect only when you enable the protection rules engine.
- Medium rule group: blocks common web application attacks in a standard way. These attacks can bypass protection policies.
- Strict rule group: blocks web application attacks in a strict way. These attacks can bypass complex protection policies.
- Loose rule group: blocks common web application attacks.
If you use WAF Business or Enterprise in mainland China or WAF Enterprise outside mainland China, you can customize protection rule groups. The custom rule groups combine all protection rules provided by WAF and provide specific protection policies for your website. For more information, see Customize protection rule groups.
- If you are not clear about the characteristics of your business traffic, we recommend
that you set Mode to Warn. After one or two weeks, analyze the attack logs in this mode.
- If the attack logs show that normal traffic is not blocked, you can set Mode to Block.
- If the attack logs show that normal traffic is blocked, you can contact Alibaba Cloud security experts to resolve the issue.
- If you add phpMyAdmin and development technology forums to WAF for protection, WAF may block normal traffic. If this occurs, we recommend that you contact Alibaba Cloud security experts to resolve the issue.
- We recommend that you take note of the following points:
- Do not use special keywords, such as UPDATE or SET, in the paths for normal business
URLs. For example, do not use
- Do not use a browser to upload files that exceed 50 MB. We recommend that you upload the files by using OSS or other methods. For more information, see Get started with OSS.
View protection effects
After you enable the protection rules engine, you can view its protection records. To view the records, click Security report. On the page that appears, click Web Security and view the report on the Web Intrusion Prevention tab. For more information, see View security reports.