Simple Application Server is a compute service designed for single-server scenarios and provides cloud-based lightweight servers that are easy to set up and manage. Simple Application Server offers an all-in-one solution for deploying and managing applications, resolving domain names, and implementing security management, operations and maintenance (O&M), and monitoring. Simple application servers can be deployed and used with ease.
Simple Application Server uses the compute, storage, and network resources of Elastic Compute Service (ECS) together with Alibaba Cloud Marketplace images and public images and allows you to deploy applications in an efficient manner. If you are new to cloud computing services or if you are an individual developer or a small or medium-sized enterprise who wants to deploy simple applications on servers, we recommend that you use Simple Application Server.
- No need to set up physical hosts on premises or purchase or configure hardware devices
- All-in-one operating experience, delivery within minutes, and rapid deployment
- Cloud computing resources provided as affordable plans to deliver consistent performance
- Security protection features such as firewalls, secure HTTPS access, internal network isolation, and data backup
- O&M features such as resource monitoring, self-diagnosis, and operation logs
- Use with Alibaba Cloud Marketplace images (application images) and public images (OS images) and the application image management feature
- Industry-standard API that improves ease of use and applicability
Simple Application Server packages compute, storage, and network resources into plans to simplify configurations. The following table describes the resources.
Resource type Description Compute resource
Simple application servers are based on ECS instance types that provide consistent performance and are suitable for low-load scenarios where small web and lightweight applications are used.
You may require other instance types that have enough CPU power to handle high-load tasks such as deploying large applications and encoding videos. In these cases, we recommend that you use ECS instances. For more information, see Instance families.
Simple Application Server uses standard SSDs as storage devices to ensure consistent read/write performance.
When you purchase a plan, you can view the category of the disk included in the plan. You can also attach a data disk to a simple application server. For more information about the performance of standard SSDs, see EBS performance.
Network resource Each Simple Application Server plan includes a data transfer quota and a public bandwidth to provide simple application servers with access to the Internet. By default, each created simple application server is assigned a public IP address.
Simple Application Server provides the following image types:
- Application images: contain applications, the initialization data of the applications, and the runtime environments and operating systems required by the applications. After you create a simple application server from an application image, you can use preset applications or customize applications based on your business needs. Application images provide ready-to-use applications to reduce the burden of uploading and installing applications.
- OS images: contain only initial operating systems and do not contain application data or environment configurations. After you create a simple application server from an OS image, the server has a clean OS environment. You can install applications on the server based on your business needs.
In addition, you can create custom images based on simple application servers. For more information, see Overview.
- Related services
Simple Application Server works with the following Alibaba Cloud services to make applications easy to set up and manage:
- Virtual Private Cloud (VPC): By default, simple application servers that belong to the same account and region are deployed within the same VPC. These servers can be connected to and communicate with each other over the internal network. An internal bandwidth of up to 10 Gbit/s is shared among simple application servers within a single VPC. Therefore, bandwidth stability cannot be ensured for communication over the internal network. For more information about VPCs, see What is a VPC?.
- Alibaba Cloud DNS: resolves domain names and points them to the IP addresses of simple application servers. For more information, see Bind and resolve domain names.
- SSL Certificates Service: provides secure HTTPS access to simple application servers by using your purchased Secure Shell Layer (SSL) certificates. For more information, see Enable HTTPS-encrypted access.
The plans and data disks of simple application servers use the subscription billing method. Data transfer beyond the plans is billed on a pay-as-you-go basis. For more information, see Billing overview.