You can use tags to identify resources. Enterprises and individuals can use tags to group and categorize their ECS resources to simplify search and management.
Tags can be used to categorize and manage ECS resources. This improves search efficiency and allows you to perform batch operations on resources. For example:
- You can bind different tags to environments such as production and test environments,
operating systems such as Windows and Linux, and mobile platforms such as iOS and
Android. For example, create a tag named
Test:Server-Windowsand bind the tag to all the Windows ECS instances in the test environment. You can easily find these instances based on the tag and perform operations.
You can perform the following batch operations on instances:
- Change the image for application deployment.
- Upgrade patches.
- Add security group rules to control access.
- Use Operation Orchestration Service (OOS) to start, stop, or restart multiple ECS instances at a time.
- Run the O&M script on multiple ECS instances by using the Cloud Assistant.
- In team or project management, you can add tags such as
CostCenter:aliyunto groups, projects, or departments. Then, you can categorize the objects, and implement itemized billing and cross authorization based on tags on the Billing Management page of the ECS console.
For more information, see the following topics:
- Each tag consists of a key-value pair.
- A tag must have a unique tag key.
For example, an ECS instance is bound to the
city:shanghaitag. If the instance is subsequently bound to the
city:shanghaitag is automatically unbound from the instance.
- Tag information is not shared across regions. For example, tags created in the China (Hangzhou) region are not visible to the China (Shanghai) region.
- Tags are deleted when they are not bound to any resources.
- For more information about the best practices for tag design, see Best practices for tag design.
For more information about limits and quotas of tags, see the Tags section in Limits.
Services that support tags
The following table lists Alibaba Cloud services and resources that support tags.
|Service||Supported resource||API operation|
|Elastic Compute Service (ECS)||
|Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)||
|ApsaraDB for Redis||ApsaraDB for Redis instance|
|Alibaba Cloud Content Delivery Network (CDN)||Domain name|
|Key Management Service (KMS)||Customer master key (CMK)|
|Object Storage Service (OSS)||Bucket||Add, delete, modify, or query tags for a bucket: bucket-tagging|
|ApsaraDB for RDS||ApsaraDB for RDS instance|
|AnalyticDB for PostgreSQL||AnalyticDB for PostgreSQL instance||Query resources based on a tag: DescribeDBInstances|
|Cloud Enterprise Network (CEN)||CEN instance|
|Smart Access Gateway (SAG)||Cloud Connect Network (CCN)||Query resources based on a tag: DescribeCloudConnectNetworks|
|Cloud Security Scanner||Assets|
|Apsara File Storage Network Attached Storage (NAS)||File system|
|Operation Orchestration Service (OOS)||