Bot threat intelligence provides information about suspicious IP addresses used by dialers, on-premises data centers, and malicious scanners. This function also maintains an IP address library of malicious crawlers and prevents crawlers from accessing all pages under your domain name or specific directories.
- A WAF instance is purchased. The instance must meet the following requirements:
- The instance is billed on a subscription basis.
- Bot Management is enabled. This feature is a value-added service.
For more information, see Purchase a WAF instance.
- Your website is added to WAF. For more information, see Add websites.
- Log on to the Web Application Firewall console.
- In the top navigation bar, select the resource group to which the instance belongs and the region, Mainland China or International, in which the instance is deployed.
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose .
- In the upper part of the Website Protection page, select the domain name for which you want to configure the whitelist.
- Click the Bot Management tab, find the Bot Threat Intelligence section. Then, turn on Status and click Settings.Note After the bot threat Intelligence function is enabled, all requests destined for your website are checked by the function. You can configure a Bot Management rule so that the requests that match the rule bypass the check. For more information, see Configure a whitelist for Bot Management.
- In the Bot Threat Intelligence rule list, find the threat intelligence library you want to use by Intelligence Name, and turn on Status.The following table lists the bot threat intelligence libraries that WAF supports.
In scenarios where two-factor authentication cannot be implemented, we recommend that you set threat intelligence rules based on the low-severity library.
IDC IP List This library contains IP addresses of public clouds and on-premises data centers, including Alibaba Cloud, Tencent Cloud, Meituan Open Services, and 21Vianet. Attackers typically use CIDR blocks of public clouds or on-premises data centers to deploy crawlers or as proxies to access sites. Regular users rarely access sites in this way.After you enable the default rule, requests initiated from IP addresses in the threat intelligence library to any directory of the protected domain name trigger the Monitor action. This action allows the requests to the destination directories and records the events.
If you need to modify the default rule, such as the protected URL or action, see the following step on how to customize a threat intelligence rule.
- Optional:Customize a threat intelligence rule.
- Find the target rule and click Edit in the Actions column.
- In the Edit Intelligence dialog box that appears, set the following parameters.
Parameter Description Protected Path The URL that you want to protect, such as /abc, /login/abc, or forward slash (/) that indicates all directories. You also need to select a value for Matching. Valid values:
- Precise Match: The destination URL must be an exact match of the protected URL.
- Prefix Match: The prefix of the destination URL matches the protected URL.
- Regex Match:The destination URL matches the specified regular expression.
You can click Add Protected URL to add more URLs. You can add up to 10 URLs.
Action The action to be performed after the match conditions of the rule are met. Valid values:
- Monitor: allows the request to the destination directory and records the event.
- Block: blocks the request.
- Captcha: requires CAPTCHA verification on the client side. Requests are forwarded to the
destination directory only after they pass the verification.
Note CAPTCHA only supports synchronous requests. To verify asynchronous requests, such as Ajax requests, contact the Alibaba Cloud security team. If you cannot determine whether the protected URL supports CAPTCHA, we recommend that you create a custom protection policy, such as an ACL rule, to run a test. For more information, see Create a custom protection policy.
- Strict Captcha: requires CAPTCHA verification on the client side. Requests are forwarded to the destination directory only after they pass the verification. CAPTCHA verification has a stricter standard to verify visitor identities.
- Click Confirm.