PolarDB allows you to create a PolarDB for MySQL cluster by using the Clone from RDS method.
- The edition of the source RDS instance is ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL 5.6 or 5.7 High-availability Edition, and the storage type is the local solid-state drive (SSD).
Note You can run the
- For ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL 5.6, the minor version of the kernel must be 20190130 or later.
- For ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL 5.7, the minor version of the kernel must be 20200331 or later.
show variables like '%rds_release_date%';command to view the minor version of the kernel for the RDS instance. For more information about how to upgrade the minor version of the kernel, see Update the minor engine version of an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance.
- Transparent data encryption (TDE) and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) are disabled on the source RDS instance. For more information about TDE, see TDE. For more information about SSL, see SSL.
- The table storage engine for the source RDS instance is InnoDB.
- If Database Proxy (Safe Mode) is enabled for the RDS instance, a privileged account is created or the network connection mode of the RDS instance is switched to the high-performance mode. This way, the Clone from RDS method can be implemented. For more information about how to create a privileged account, see Create a privileged account. For more information how to switch to the high-performance mode, see [Important] RDS network link upgrade.
- Large storage capacity: up to 100 TB.
- High performance: up to six times higher than the performance of MySQL.
- Serverless storage: You do not need to purchase a storage capacity in advance. The system can automatically scale the storage capacity. You are charged for the used storage capacity.
- Temporary upgrade: supports temporary specification upgrades to handle short-term business peaks.
For more information, see Benefits.
- The cloning feature is free.
- No data is lost during the cloning.
- Log on to the PolarDB console.
- In the upper-left corner of the console, select the region where the cluster resides.
- Click Create Cluster.
- Select Subscription or Pay-As-You-Go as Product Type.
- Subscription: Pay for the compute nodes when you create the cluster. You are charged by hour for the storage space that is occupied by the actual amount of data. The charges are deducted from your account balance on an hourly basis.
- Pay-As-You-Go: An upfront payment is not required. You are charged by hour for the compute nodes and the storage space that is consumed by the actual amount of data. The charges are deducted from your account balance on an hourly basis.
- Specify the following parameters.
Parameter Description Region The region where the source ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance resides.Note The PolarDB cluster to be created must also be deployed in this region. Create Type Select Clone from RDS. RDS Engine Type The engine type of the source RDS instance. The value of this parameter can be only MySQL and cannot be changed. RDS Engine Version The engine version of the source RDS instance. You can select 5.6 or 5.7. Source RDS Instance Select a source RDS instance. The available source RDS instances exclude read-only instances. Primary Availability Zone
A zone is an independent geographical location that resides in a region. No substantial differences exist between different zones.
You can choose to create your PolarDB cluster in the same zone as the Elastic Compute Service (ECS) instance or in the zone that is different from the zone of this instance.
You need only to select the primary zone. The system automatically selects a secondary zone.
Network Type The network type of the PolarDB cluster. The value of this parameter cannot be changed. VPC
The VPC and the vSwitch to which the PolarDB cluster belongs. Make sure that the PolarDB cluster and the ECS instance to be connected are deployed in the same VPC. Otherwise, the cluster and the ECS instance cannot communicate over the internal network to achieve the optimal performance. Compatibility The database engine version of the PolarDB cluster. The default version is consistent with the version of the source RDS engine and cannot be changed. Edition The value of this parameter can be only Cluster (2-16 nodes) (Recommended). You do not need to select the value of this parameter. Node Specification Select a node specification based on your requirements. We recommend that you select a specification that is at least the specification of the source RDS instance. For more information about PolarDB nodes, see Specifications of compute nodes. Nodes You do not need to select the value of this parameter. The system automatically creates a read-only node that has the same specification as the primary node. Storage Cost You do not need to select the value of this parameter. You are charged for the used storage space on an hourly basis. For more information, see Specifications and pricing.Note You do not need to select a storage capacity when you create a cluster. The system automatically scales the storage capacity when the amount of data is increased or decreased. Time Zone The time zone of the cluster. The default time zone is UTC+08:00. Table Name Case Sensitivity Specifies whether the table names are case-sensitive. The default value is Not Case-sensitive. If table names are case-sensitive in your on-premises database, we recommend that you select Case-sensitive. This ensures that you can migrate data in an easy way.Note The value of this parameter cannot be changed after the cluster is created. Proceed with caution. Release Cluster The backup retention policy that is used when you delete or release the cluster. The default value is Retain Last Automatic Backup (Automatic Backup before Release).
Note If you need to retain backups when you delete or release the instance, you may need to pay a few fees. You can delete the backups to reduce costs. For more information, see Billable items.
- Retain Last Automatic Backup (Automatic Backup before Release): retains the last backup when you delete the cluster.
- Retain All Backups: retains all the backups when you delete the cluster.
- Delete All Backups (Cannot be Restored): retains no backups when you delete the cluster.
- The cluster name must be 2 to 128 characters in length, start with a letter or Chinese character, and can contain digits, periods (.), underscores (_), and hyphens (-).
- If this parameter is left empty, the system automatically generates a cluster name. You can change the cluster name after you create the cluster.
Resource Group Select a required resource group from available resource groups. For more information about how to create a resource group, see Create a resource group.Note A resource group is a container that contains a group of resources in an Alibaba Cloud account. You can perform centralized management on these resources. A resource belongs to only one resource group. For more information, see Use RAM to create and authorize resource groups.
- After you specify the Purchase Plan (for only the subscription cluster) and Number parameters, click Buy Now on the right side.
- On the Confirm Order page, confirm your order information. Read and accept the terms of service, and then
click Activate Now.
After you complete the activation, it takes 10 to 15 minutes to create the cluster. Then, the newly created cluster is displayed on the Clusters page.Note
- If nodes in the cluster are in the Creating state, the cluster is being created and unavailable. The cluster is available only if it is in the Running state.
- Make sure that you have selected the region where the cluster is deployed. Otherwise, you cannot view the cluster.
- We recommend that you purchase subscription PolarDB storage plans to store a large amount of data. Storage plans are more cost-effective than pay-as-you-go storage. You are offered larger discounts if you purchase storage plans that provide larger storage capacities. For more information, see Together with storage plans.
- Log on to the PolarDB console and check the status of the new PolarDB cluster.
Is the source RDS instance affected when data is cloned from the RDS instance?
No, the source RDS instance runs as expected and is not affected.
Related API operations
|CreateDBCluster||Creates a PolarDB cluster.
Note When you create a PolarDB cluster by using the Clone from RDS method, set the CreationOption parameter to CloneFromRDS.
What to do next
You must change the endpoint over which your application accesses the database to the endpoint of the PolarDB cluster at the earliest opportunity. For more information, see View or apply for an endpoint.