What differences are there between Aliyun Linux 2 and Aliyun Linux?
- Aliyun Linux 2 is optimized for containers to better support cloud-native applications.
- Aliyun Linux 2 is equipped with an updated Linux kernel mode and updated user mode packages.
How do I use Aliyun Linux 2 in Alibaba Cloud?
Alibaba Cloud provides an official public image for Aliyun Linux 2. You can select this image when you create an ECS instance.
Am I charged for the use of Aliyun Linux 2 in Alibaba Cloud ECS?
No, the Aliyun Linux 2 image is free to use. You are only charged for the usage of the corresponding ECS instance to which the image is applied.
Which ECS instance types does Aliyun Linux 2 support?
Does Aliyun Linux 2 support 32-bit applications and databases?
No. Currently, Aliyun Linux 2 does not support 32-bit applications or databases.
Does Aliyun Linux 2 provide a GUI desktop?
No. Currently, Aliyun Linux 2 does not provide a GUI desktop.
Can I view the source code of Aliyun Linux 2 components?
Yes. Aliyun Linux 2 complies with open source protocols. You can use the yumdownloader tool or visit official Alibaba Cloud download pages to download the source code package. You can also download the source code tree of the Aliyun Linux kernel from Github.
Is Aliyun Linux 2 backward-compatible with the current Aliyun Linux version?
Can I use Aliyun Linux 2 locally?
No. Currently, Aliyun Linux 2 only supports Alibaba Cloud ECS. Third-party virtualized platforms are not supported.
Which third-party applications can run on Aliyun Linux 2?
Currently, Aliyun Linux 2 is binary-code compatible with CentOS 7.6.1810. Therefore, applications that can run on CentOS can also run on Aliyun Linux 2.
What are the advantages of Aliyun Linux 2 when compared with other Linux operating systems?
Compared with CentOS and RHEL, Aliyun Linux 2 has the following advantages:
- Updates are released at a faster, and provide more advanced Linux kernels, user mode software, and toolkit
- No configuration required, out-of-the-box functionality
- Zero run-time billing (compared with RHEL) and provided with commercial support (compared with CentOS)
What data protection functions are included with Aliyun Linux 2?Aliyun Linux 2 protects your data by using the following methods:
- It uses industry standard vulnerability scanning and security test tools to conduct periodical security scanning.
- It periodically accesses the CVE patch of CentOS 7 to fix OS security vulnerabilities.
- It supports existing OS security solutions of Alibaba Cloud.
- It uses the same mechanism as CentOS 7 to release user security alerts and patch updates.
Does Aliyun Linux 2 support data encryption?
Yes. Aliyun Linux 2 retains the data encryption toolkit of CentOS 7 to support data encryption implemented by CentOS 7 and KMS.
How do I grant permissions to manage Aliyun Linux 2?
The method to grant permissions to manage Aliyun Linux 2 is the same as that of Alibaba Cloud CentOS 7. This means that an administrator of CentOS 7 can use the same management commands to grant permissions of Aliyun Linux 2.
Does the system disk of an ECS instance support KMS encryption, and can I use KMS encryption through Terraform or Packer?
The system disk of an ECS instance supports KMS encryption by using the key that is automatically generated by KMS. After you select KMS encryption, ECS automatically creates a dedicated CMK in the region where KMS is used. For more information, see ECS disk encryption.
Support for Terraform is available, while support BYOK encryption and Packer encryption is in development.
In Terraform, you can set the encrypted parameter to enable or disable KMS encryption. For more information, see alicloud_disks.