This topic describes how to apply access and security settings to your Alibaba Cloud resources by using RAM. This allows you to better manage resource permissions with fine-grained access control.
An Alibaba Cloud account is created. To create an Alibaba Cloud account, visit the account registration page.
When you migrate your business resources to the cloud, traditional organizational structures or existing resource management methods may no longer meet your requirements. You may face the following security management issues during the migration of your resources:
- The responsibilities of the RAM users are not clear.
- The Alibaba Cloud account owner does not want to share the access key with RAM users due to security risks.
- RAM users can access resources by using different methods. This is prone to security risks.
- Resource permissions granted to RAM users must be revoked when the RAM users no longer require these permissions.
To resolve the preceding issues, you can use RAM to create RAM users and grant resource permissions to RAM users. you can use RAM to prevent the AccessKey pair of your Alibaba Cloud account from being shared by RAM users. You can also use RAM to grant minimum permissions to RAM users. This simplifies permission management and ensures resource security.
Security management solution
- Create separate RAM users.
You require only one Alibaba Cloud account. You can create separate RAM users for your employees. Then, you can attach different policies to the RAM users. This ensures fine-grained access control. You do not need to use your Alibaba Cloud account for daily permission management.
For more information, see Create a RAM user.
- Separate console users from API users.
We recommend that you do not create a logon password for console operations and an AccessKey pair for API operations for a RAM user at the same time.
- To allow an application to access cloud resources by calling API operations, you only need to create an AccessKey pair for the application.
- To allow an employee to manage cloud resources by using the console, you only need to set a logon password for the employee.
For more information, see Create a RAM user.
- Create and group RAM users.
If your Alibaba Cloud account has multiple RAM users, you can group the RAM users based on their responsibilities and grant permissions to the groups.
For more information, see Create a RAM user group.
- Grant the minimum permissions to different RAM user groups.
You can attach system policies to RAM users or RAM user groups. You can also create custom policies and attach them to RAM users or RAM user groups for fine-grained access control. By granting the minimum permissions to different RAM users or RAM user groups, you can better manage access permissions on cloud resources.
For more information, see Create a custom policy.
- Configure strong logon password policies.
You can configure logon password policies that specify the minimum length, mandatory characters, and validation period for RAM users in the RAM console. If you authorize a RAM user to change the logon password, the RAM user must create a strong logon password and rotate the password or AccessKey pair on a regular basis.
For more information, see Set RAM user security policies.
- Enable an MFA device for your Alibaba Cloud account.
You can enable a multi-factor authentication (MFA) device for your Alibaba Cloud account to enhance the account security. After you enable an MFA device, the following two security factors are required when a RAM user logs on to Alibaba Cloud:
- Username and password
- Verification code provided by the MFA device
For more information, see Enable an MFA device for an Alibaba Cloud account.
- Enable SSO for RAM users.
After single sign-on (SSO) is enabled, all the internal accounts of your enterprise will be authenticated. Then, RAM users can log on to Alibaba Cloud to access resources only by using an internal account.
For more information, see SSO overview.
- Do not create an AccessKey pair for your Alibaba Cloud account.
Your Alibaba Cloud account has full permissions on your resources. The AccessKey pair of your Alibaba Cloud account has the same permissions as the logon password. The AccessKey pair is used for programmatic access whereas the logon password is used to log on to the console. To prevent information leaks due to the disclosure of the AccessKey pair, we recommend that you do not create an AccessKey for your Alibaba Cloud account.
You can create an AccessKey pair for your RAM users and grant the RAM user the relevant permissions.
For more information, see Create an AccessKey pair for a RAM user.
- Specify the condition element in policies to enhance security.
You can specify the condition element in a policy to allow RAM users to use your resources only when the condition is met. For example, you can specify that the RAM user must use a secure channel (for example, SSL), use a specified source IP address, or use your resources within a specified period of time.
For more information, see Policy elements.
- Manage permissions on your cloud resources.
All your resources are in your Alibaba Cloud account. The RAM users of your Alibaba Cloud account can use the resources, but do not own the resources. This allows you to manage instances or other resources created by the RAM users.
- If you no longer require an existing RAM user, you can delete the RAM user to revoke all permissions granted to the RAM user.
- If you require a new RAM user, you can create a RAM user, set a logon password or AccessKey pair for the RAM user, and then grant the RAM user the relevant permissions.
For more information, see Grant permissions to a RAM user.
- Use STS to grant temporary permissions to RAM users.
Security Token Service (STS) is an extended authorization service of RAM. You can use STS tokens to grant temporary permissions to RAM users and specify the permission and automatic expiration time of the tokens.
For more information, see What is STS?.
After you migrate your services to the Alibaba Cloud, you can use the preceding solutions based on your business requirements. These solutions ensure that you manage your cloud resources effectively and protect your Alibaba Cloud account and business assets.
What to do next
You can use RAM to categorize your O&M tasks and assign the tasks to different O&M personnel (RAM users). For more information, see Use RAM to manage permissions of O&M engineers.