To aesthetically display videos, ApsaraVideo for VOD allows you to add a thumbnail to each uploaded video and change the thumbnails in various ways. After a video is uploaded, ApsaraVideo for VOD takes snapshots. If you do not specify the thumbnail of the video, ApsaraVideo for VOD uses one of the snapshots as the default thumbnail. You can change the thumbnail after the video is uploaded.
- Register an Alibaba Cloud account, complete real-name verification, and activate ApsaraVideo for VOD.
- Obtain an AccessKey to access ApsaraVideo for VOD. You can create an AccessKey for your Alibaba Cloud account on the Access Key Management page in the Alibaba Cloud console. Alternatively, you can create a RAM user in the RAM console and grant the user the permission to access ApsaraVideo for VOD. For more information, see RAM user access.
- Activate the intelligent thumbnail service before using it.
Set the thumbnail in the console
- Upload a video in the console. After the video is uploaded, ApsaraVideo for VOD uses a video snapshot as the default video thumbnail. To change the thumbnail, log on to the ApsaraVideo for VOD console and choose Media Files > Video and Audio in the left-side navigation pane. Click Manage in the Actions column of the target video to go to the video details page. On the bottom of the page, you can select one of the snapshots that are automatically taken as the video thumbnail. Alternatively, you can click Upload and select a local PNG, JPG, JPEG, or GIF file as the thumbnail. The maximum file size is 1 MB, and the maximum resolution is 1920 × 1080 pixels. The following figure shows how to set the thumbnail of a video in the console.
Set the thumbnail through the API or SDK
ApsaraVideo for VOD supports various video upload methods. You can set the video thumbnail when uploading a video. If you do not set the thumbnail, ApsaraVideo for VOD uses one of the video snapshots as the default thumbnail after the video is uploaded. You can call the following operations to set video thumbnails:
- When calling the CreateUploadVideo operation, you can set the CoverURL parameter to specify the URL of the thumbnail.
- When calling the UploadMediaByURL operation, you can set the CoverURL parameter in the UploadMetadata structure to specify the URL of the thumbnail.
- If the video is stored in OSS, you can call the RegisterMedia operation to register the media asset to ApsaraVideo for VOD. When calling this operation, you can set the CoverURL parameter in the RegisterMetadata structure to specify the URL of the thumbnail.
- If the video is uploaded to ApsaraVideo for VOD, you can call the UpdateVideoInfo or UpdateVideoInfos operation and set the CoverURL parameter to specify the URL of the thumbnail.
Use the intelligent thumbnail service
The intelligent thumbnail service can analyze and understand video content, and extract multiple snapshots that best represent the video content as backup thumbnails. It can also extract keyframes from the video content and automatically merge them into a GIF file as the video thumbnail. You can log on to Retina of Video AI to experience the intelligent thumbnail service. Before using the intelligent thumbnail service, send an application to activate it. The following figure shows the effect of the intelligent thumbnail service.