A project is the basic unit that is used to perform user isolation and access control in MaxCompute. After you activate MaxCompute, you must create projects to use MaxCompute. This topic describes how to create a MaxCompute project in the MaxCompute or DataWorks console.
- DataWorks and MaxCompute are activated by using your Alibaba Cloud account or the credentials of a RAM user. The two services are deployed in the same region.
- If you want to create a MaxCompute project as a RAM user, you must obtain the credentials
of the RAM user and attach the AliyunDataWorksFullAccess policy to the RAM user.
For more information about how to create a RAM user or obtain information about a RAM user, see Create a RAM user.
RAM users have limited permissions. We recommend that you use an Alibaba Cloud account to create a MaxCompute project and grant RAM users permissions on the MaxCompute project. For more information about the permission differences between Alibaba Cloud accounts and RAM users, see Users and roles. For more information about authorization, see Permissions.
- Method 1 (recommended): Use the MaxCompute console to create a projectThe project management and query editing features of the MaxCompute console are implemented by DataWorks. Before you create a MaxCompute project, you must create a DataWorks workspace. DataWorks workspaces are distinguished from MaxCompute projects in the following ways:
- DataWorks workspaces: Log on to the DataWorks console. In the left-side navigation pane, click Workspaces. On the Workspaces page, you can view the names of DataWorks workspaces.
- MaxCompute projects: Log on to the MaxCompute console. On the Project management tab, you can view the names of MaxCompute projects and the names of the DataWorks workspaces to which the MaxCompute projects correspond.
- Method 2: Use the DataWorks console to create a project
- After you use an Alibaba Cloud account to create a MaxCompute project, you have the operation permissions on all the objects in the project. Only authorized users can access the project.
- For a MaxCompute project that is created by using the credentials of a RAM user, both the RAM user and the Alibaba Cloud account to which the RAM user belongs have the operation permissions on all the objects in the project. Other users can access the project only after the users are granted the related permissions.
- For a MaxCompute project that is created by using the credentials of a RAM user, MaxCompute assigns the RAM user the Super_Administrator role of the project by default. This facilitates project management. If a DataWorks workspace is in standard mode, the RAM user is assigned only the Super_Administrator role of a project in the development environment.
Use the MaxCompute console to create a project
- Log on to the MaxCompute console and select a region in the top navigation bar.
- On the Project management tab, click Create project.
- In the Creating a DataWorks workspace step of the Create Workspace panel, configure the parameters, and click Create project.
Section Parameter Description Basic Information Workspace Name The custom name of the workspace. The name must meet the following requirements:
- It must be globally unique.
- It must be 3 to 28 characters in length.
- It can contain only letters, digits, and underscores (_) and must start with a letter.
Display Name The display name of the workspace. The name must be 1 to 23 characters in length, and can contain only letters, digits, and underscores (_). The name must start with a letter. Mode The workspace mode. Valid values:
- Basic Mode (Production Environment Only): One DataWorks workspace corresponds to only
one MaxCompute project. A workspace in basic mode cannot isolate the development environment
from the production environment. In such a workspace, you can perform basic data development
but cannot strictly control the data development process or resource permissions.
You can use the member management feature that is provided by DataWorks to grant permissions to the members of a MaxCompute project.
- Standard Mode (Development and Production Environments): One DataWorks workspace corresponds
to two MaxCompute projects. One project is in the production environment and the other
is in the development environment. In this workspace, you can develop code in a standard
manner and strictly control resource permissions. Unauthorized developers are prohibited
from managing the resources of the project in the production environment. This ensures
the data security of the project in the production environment.
- For a project in the development environment, you can use the member management feature that is provided by DataWorks to grant permissions to the members of the project.
- For a project in the production environment, only the project owner has full permissions
on objects in the project by default. If a member of the project wants to read tables
in the project, the member must request permissions on the tables in Security Center
of DataWorks. For more information about how to request permissions, see Request permissions on tables.
If a member of a project in the production environment needs to have full permissions on objects in the project, you can go to the Customer User Roles tab of the DataWorks console, select the project from the MaxCompute Project selection drop-down list, and then assign the Admin role of the project to the member. For more information, see Configure MaxCompute.
If you want to upgrade a workspace from the basic mode to the standard mode or understand the impact of the upgrade, see Upgrade the workspace mode.
For more information about the differences between the two modes, see Basic mode and standard mode.
Description The description of the workspace. Advanced Settings Download SELECT Query Result Specifies whether data query results can be downloaded from the DataStudio page in the DataWorks console. If you turn off Download SELECT Query Result, workspace members cannot download data query results.
- In the Create a MaxCompute project step of the Create Workspace panel, configure the parameters, and click Confirm creation.
Parameter Description Instance display name The name of the workspace. The name must be 3 to 28 characters in length, and can contain only letters, digits, and underscores (_). The name must start with a letter. Payment mode The billing method of MaxCompute, which must be the same as the method you selected when you activated MaxCompute. Quota group The quota group. Quota groups are used to configure compute units (CUs) and disk quotas. For more information about quota groups, see Use MaxCompute Management. MaxCompute data type The data type edition of MaxCompute. Valid values: MaxCompute V2.0 Data Type Edition (Recommended), MaxCompute V1.0 Data Type Edition (Suitable for Early MaxCompute Projects), and Hive-Compatible Data Type Edition (Suitable for MaxCompute Projects Migrated from Hadoop). You can select an appropriate data type edition based on your business requirements. For more information about the differences between the three data type editions, see Data type editions. Whether to encrypt Specifies whether to enable the data encryption feature for the MaxCompute project. For more information about data encryption, see Data encryption. Key The type of the key to be used in the MaxCompute project. Valid values: Dataworks Default Key and BYOK. If you select Dataworks Default Key, the key that MaxCompute automatically creates for the project in KMS will be used in the project. Algorithm The encryption algorithm that is supported by the key. Valid values: AES256, AESCTR, and RC4. Project name The name of the MaxCompute project. If you create a DataWorks workspace in basic mode, the project name is automatically set to the name that you specified for the DataWorks workspace. If you create a DataWorks workspace in standard mode, the name of the project in the production environment is the same as the name of the DataWorks workspace by default, and the name of the project in the development environment is marked with _dev. Access identity The identity that you can use to access the MaxCompute project. For a project in the development environment, the value is fixed as Node Owner.
For a project in the production environment, the valid values are Alibaba Cloud Account and RAM User. If you select Alibaba Cloud Account, an Alibaba Cloud account is used as the access identity. If you select RAM User, a RAM user is used as the access identity.
Use the DataWorks console to create a project
For more information, see Create a workspace.
What to do next
- If you need a RAM user for data development, you can add the RAM user as a member of your MaxCompute project and assign a role to the RAM user. For more information about how to add project members, see Add a workspace member and configure roles.
- If you do not need to add project members, prepare the development environment for your MaxCompute project and install the required tools. For more information about how to prepare a development environment and install tools, see Prepare an environment and install required development tools.
- If you need to delete an existing MaxCompute project, follow the instructions provided in Delete a MaxCompute project to perform this operation.