Tez is a computing framework that is built on Apache Hadoop and supports distributed directed acyclic graphs (DAGs). Tez can use a complex DAG to describe and process big data tasks.
Tez is used in Apache Hive. Tez serves as a runtime engine of Hive and can optimize the query engine of Hive SQL. Hive on Tez features higher query performance and stability than Hive on MapReduce.
For more information about Tez, see Apache TEZ.
Enable the Tez engine
Hive allows you to use Tez to execute SQL statements. Before you execute an SQL statement, you must perform the following steps to enable the Tez engine:
- Go to the Services tab.
- Log on to the EMR console. In the left-side navigation pane, click EMR on ECS.
- In the top navigation bar, select the region where your cluster resides and select a resource group based on your business requirements.
- On the EMR on ECS page, click Services in the Actions column of the cluster that you want to manage.
- On the Services tab, click Configure in the Hive section.
- Modify and save the hive.execution.engine parameter.
- In the search box, enter hive.execution.engine.
- Set the hive.execution.engine parameter to tez and click Save.
- In the dialog box that appears, enter a reason in the Execution Reason field and click Save.
- Restart Hive.
- Click the Status tab.
- On the Services tab, choose in the upper-right corner.
- In the dialog box that appears, enter a reason in the Execution Reason field and click OK.
- In the Confirm message, click OK.
Access the web UI of Tez
On the Access Links and Ports tab, click the access URL that corresponds to Tez UI to access the web UI of Tez.
For more information, see Access the web UIs of open source components.