Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks are cyber attacks against targeted systems that make services unavailable to users. Alibaba Cloud provides Anti-DDoS Origin Basic for elastic IP addresses (EIPs) free of charge. Anti-DDoS Origin Basic can mitigate DDoS attacks at up to 5 Gbit/s.
How Anti-DDoS Origin Basic works
- Traffic patterns. If traffic patterns match the patterns of attack traffic, traffic scrubbing is triggered.
- Traffic amounts. Anti-DDoS Origin Basic automatically sets scrubbing thresholds based on the bandwidth of EIPs. When traffic reaches a specified threshold, Alibaba Cloud Security scrubs the traffic regardless of whether the traffic is service traffic or attack traffic.
- Scrubbing threshold based on bits per second (BPS): When the amount of inbound traffic per second exceeds this value, scrubbing is triggered.
- Scrubbing threshold based on packets per second (PPS): When the number of inbound packets per second exceeds this value, scrubbing is triggered.
|EIP bandwidth (Unit: Mbit/s)||Maximum BPS-based scrubbing threshold (Unit: Mbit/s)|
|> 300||EIP bandwidth × 1.5|
|EIP bandwidth (Unit: Mbit/s)||Maximum PPS-based scrubbing threshold (Unit: packets per second)|
|> 100||EIP bandwidth × 1,000|
For example, if the bandwidth of an EIP is 200 Mbit/s, the maximum BPS-based scrubbing threshold is 450 Mbit/s and the maximum PPS-based scrubbing threshold is 200,000 packets per second.
After the EIP is associated with a cloud resource, the scrubbing thresholds are changed. For more information, see the Assets page in the Anti-DDoS console. For more information, see View the Assets page.
View the scrubbing thresholds of an EIP
- Log on to the EIP console.
- In the top navigation bar, select the region where the EIP is created.
- On the Elastic IP Addresses page, find the EIP that you want to manage. In the Protection column, move the pointer over the Alibaba Cloud Security icon. In the tooltip that appears, view the BPS-based scrubbing threshold, PPS-based scrubbing threshold, and blackhole filtering threshold.