Data Management (DMS) is a one-stop data management platform that allows you to manage the lifecycle of data. This topic describes the benefits of DMS.
Management of global data assets
- Global data assets: DMS supports 27 types of data sources, including Alibaba Cloud
databases, databases from other cloud service providers, and self-managed databases.
For more information, see Supported database types and features.
- Relational databases such as MySQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, PolarDB for Oracle, PolarDB-X, OceanBase, Oracle, and Dameng (DM)
- NoSQL databases such as Redis, MongoDB, and Graph Database (GDB)
- Online analytical processing (OLAP) databases such as AnalyticDB for MySQL and AnalyticDB for PostgreSQL
- Quick data query: You can search for instances, databases, tables in a database, features provided by DMS, and tickets in DMS. You can also retrieve data based on the graph feature.
- Data classification: You can classify and manage instances, databases, and tables in a database. This helps administrators, developers, and O&M engineers manage data in tables. For more information, see Use the category feature.
- Instance management: You can perform operations on database instances, such as querying data in an instance, registering an instance, modifying an instance, granting permissions on an instance, revoking permissions on an instance, disabling an instance, enabling an instance, and removing an instance. The access control feature allows you to grant users the permissions on instances and databases. This way, only the authorized users can access these instances and databases.
Reliable data governance
- Secure and credible development: DMS provides the latest R&D specifications developed by Alibaba. This avoids potential risks caused by unsuitable schema designs such as designing a schema without a primary key. DMS supports more than 200 schema design and review standards. You can specify standards based on your business requirements.
- Comprehensive fine-grained authorization: You can manage the permissions on instances, databases, tables in a database, fields, and row-level data. You can also manage the query, export, change, and logon permissions based on your business requirements.
- Automatic management of DMS accounts: DMS can automatically manage the accounts and permissions of DMS users. This effectively avoids the risk of data leaks due to the untimely deletion of DMS accounts after staff members are transferred.
- Compliance audit: DMS supports compliance audit for the enterprises to be listed and regular internal audit. User permissions, database changes, and access logs can be audited.
- Compliance with multiple laws and regulations: DMS conforms to the Cybersecurity Law of the People's Republic of China, the EU General Data Protection Regulation, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard (DSS), and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. Sensitive data can be automatically identified and classified. This effectively prevents the abnormal access to sensitive data.
- Multiple types of database engines: You can develop databases based on multiple types of database engines in DMS. You do not need to worry about the differences among database engines.
- Agile and efficient development: The R&D staff can develop compliant databases based on the design standards. No approval is required for development processes in a non-production environment. Only development processes in a production environment need to be approved. This ensures data security and implements efficient and collaborative development.
- Custom R&D process: You can design and use different development processes for database instances that serve different business purposes based on enterprise requirements. This ensures schema consistency among various environments, such as the development environment, staging environment, test environment, and production environment.
- Automatic creation of test environments: DMS allows you to clone databases. Then, you can use the test data generation feature to generate large amounts of information at a time, such as random values, region names, and virtual IP addresses. This way, you can prepare test data with ease.
- SQL statement reuse: You can manage SQL statements that are frequently used. Then, you can reuse SQL templates.
- Stable and controllable data changes: You can change data without locking tables, back up data before a data change, or roll back the data change after a data change fails. This ensures the stability of your databases during data changes.
- Data quality monitoring: You can configure data quality rules for data generation, data integration, data processing, and data consumption. You can use the data quality rules to monitor the quality of data and check the data.
- SQL review optimization: DMS provides the SQL review feature that integrates the SQL review optimization feature in the security rule module. You can use the SQL review feature to review the submitted SQL statements and acquire optimization suggestions. The SQL review feature helps you prevent SQL statements that do not use indexes or do not conform to database development standards. This reduces the risk of SQL injection attacks.
- Diagnostic report of the whole system: DMS integrates specific features of Database Autonomy Service (DAS). Then, you can monitor the performance of database instances. This ensures stable, secure, and efficient database services.
- Rollback of exceptional changes: You can find exceptional data changes that are performed in a period of time and generate SQL statements for rolling back the data changes. For more information, see Data tracking.
Real-time data transmission
- Multiple data transmission methods: The real-time data transmission feature based on Data Transmission Service (DTS) provides the following data transmission methods: data migration, data synchronization, and data subscription. This meets your business requirements.
- High performance: A distributed integration architecture is supported. This resolves the bottlenecks of single-instance database services. In addition, DMS provides the throttling capability. This protects data sources as needed.
- Simple O&M: DMS provides features such as performance monitoring, end-to-end diagnosis, and alerting to simplify O&M.
- Flexible scheduling: You can configure scheduling properties based on your business requirements. The minimum recurrence of data transmission can be set to 5 minutes.
Data processing by using a few SQL statements
- Streaming data processing
- Support for different scenarios: The streaming data processing feature can be applied to different scenarios. For example, you can construct a real-time data warehouse, perform a real-time union query on multiple tables, upload and process real-time data, process real-time reports, separate business from computing, and troubleshoot business issues in real time.
- High efficiency and low latency: You can use DTS to obtain data and write data. Distributed concurrent read and write operations are supported. The speed of obtaining and writing data is faster than that by using Flink. DTS also improves data accuracy.
- Batch data processing
- Support for different scenarios: The batch data processing feature can be applied to different scenarios. For example, you can construct an offline data warehouse, accelerate offline data query, analyze offline data, build a Data Mid-end, synchronize large amounts of data, compute offline data, and integrate heterogeneous data.
- Ease of use with minimum technical skill requirements: A task flow can be configured with a few clicks to integrate offline data. You can also configure complex scheduling properties to run a task flow.
- Virtual data lake based on data assets: DMS works with data assets to build a virtual data lake for your enterprise. You can use the data assets whenever you need them. This reduces the cost of O&M and data lake formation for your enterprise.
- Visualized task orchestration. For more information, see Overview.
- Hybrid orchestration mode: You can create a task flow with various database types. This meets the requirements for complex workflows.
- Complex task management and scheduling: DMS integrates the data permission management feature to manage and schedule complex tasks. This improves the security of data development.
- Excellent O&M mechanism: DMS supports features such as operational logs for tasks, data lineage, and monitoring to provide complete O&M capabilities.