Data Management (DMS) is a one-stop data management platform that allows you to manage the lifecycle of data. This topic describes the benefits of DMS.
Management of a full range of data assets
- A full range of data assets: DMS supports 27 types of data sources. For more information, see Supported database types and features.
- Relational databases: MySQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, PolarDB for Oracle, PolarDB for Xscale, OceanBase, Oracle, and Dameng (DM)
- NoSQL databases: Redis, MongoDB, and Graph Database (GDB)
- Online analytical processing (OLAP) databases: AnalyticDB for MySQL and AnalyticDB for PostgreSQL
- File storage: Object Storage Service (OSS)
- Databases from multiple sources: DMS integrates the free Database Gateway service to provide stable and efficient connections. You can use Database Gateway to connect databases that are hosted on other cloud platforms or on-premises databases to DMS securely at a low cost. For more information, see What is Database Gateway?.
- Tools for smooth database migration to cloud: DMS provides Data Transmission Service (DTS) and Advanced Database & Application Migration (ADAM) to support database migration throughout the entire lifecycle. For more information, see ADAM overview and DTS.
- Database management: You can perform operations on database instances, such as querying data in an instance, registering an instance, modifying an instance, and granting permissions on instances, databases, tables, columns, and rows. You can also perform management operations such as revoking permissions, disabling an instance, enabling an instance, and removing an instance. The metadata access control feature allows you to grant permissions on instances and databases to users. This way, only authorized users can access these instances and databases. For more information, see Manage instances.
- Data classification: You can classify and manage instances, databases, and tables. This helps administrators, developers, and O&M engineers manage data in tables. For more information, see Use the asset category feature.
- Quick data query: You can search for instances, databases, tables, features provided by DMS, and tickets in DMS. The graph feature allows you to retrieve data quickly.
Reliable data governance
- Secure and credible development: The latest built-in Alibaba development specifications help you avoid potential risks caused by improper database designs such as missing primary keys. DMS supports more than 200 schema design and review standards. You can specify standards based on your business requirements.
- Comprehensive fine-grained access control: You can manage permissions on instances, databases, tables, columns, and rows, and grant permissions, such as Query, Export, Change, and Logon, as needed. For more information, see Overview.
- Automatic management of DMS accounts: DMS automatically manages the accounts and permissions of DMS users. This helps prevent data leaks when DMS accounts are not revoked in time after personnel changes.
- Compliance audit: DMS maintains records and logs of operations performed on databases, including permission management operations, database changes, and access records. This helps enterprises prepare for compliance audits, including audits for enterprises seeking to go public and regular internal audits. For more information, see Audit operations.
- Compliance with multiple laws and regulations: DMS conforms to the Cybersecurity Law of the People's Republic of China, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX), the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard (DSS), and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). Sensitive data can be automatically identified and classified. This prevents abnormal access to sensitive data. For more information, see Overview.
- Secure access proxy: The secure access proxy feature uses existing DMS features, such as security rules, data permissions, and sensitive column configurations, to allow you to access databases in DMS from another environment in a secure manner. For more information, see Enable the secure access proxy feature.
Guaranteed database stability
- Controllable data changes: You can change data without locking tables, back up data before a data change, or roll back the data change after a data change fails. This ensures the stability of your databases during data changes. For more information, see Overview and Data tracking
- Data quality monitoring: You can configure data quality rules for data generation, data integration, data processing, and data consumption to monitor and verify data quality. For more information, see Check the data quality.
- SQL statement review and optimization: DMS reviews uploaded SQL statements and provides optimization suggestions integrated into security rules to prevent SQL statements without indexes or non-conforming SQL statements, reducing the risk of SQL injection attacks. For more information, see SQL review.
- Diagnosis of database performance: DMS incorporates some features of Database Autonomy Service (DAS) to help you keep track of database instance performance and ensure stable, secure, and efficient database services. For more information, see View the performance details of a database instance.
- Rollback of exceptional changes: You can find exceptional data changes that are performed in a period of time and generate SQL statements to roll back the changes. For more information, see Data tracking.
Efficient database development
- Support for various engines: You can develop databases based on a variety of database engines in DMS, without having to worry about the differences between engines.
- Custom development process: You can design and use different development processes for database instances that serve different business purposes based on organization requirements. This ensures schema consistency between environments, such as the development environment, test environment, staging environment, and production environment. For more information, see Manage iterations and Manage security rules
- Agile and efficient development: The development staff can develop compliant databases based on the design standards. No approval is required for development processes in a non-production environment. Only development processes in a production environment need to be approved. This ensures data security while enabling efficient and collaborative development.
- Auto building of test environments: DMS allows you to clone databases and generate large amounts of data such as random values, region names, and virtual IP addresses at a time to prepare test data with ease.Generate test data
- SQL statement reuse: You can add and manage frequently used SQL statements to reuse SQL templates.
Low-code data processing
- DMS provides batch data processing. For more information, see Overview.
- A variety of scenarios: The batch data processing feature can be applied to different scenarios. For example, You can develop offline data warehouses, optimize data warehouse performance, analyze and compute offline data, build data middle-end, and integrate large amounts of data, including heterogeneous data.
- Low requirement for expertise: Personnel can complete various offline integration tasks by performing simple configurations. You can also configure complex scheduling properties of a task. Only minimal coding is required.
- Virtual data lake based on data assets: DMS allows you to build a virtual data lake for the data assets of your enterprise. You can use the data assets whenever you need them. This reduces the cost of O&M and data lake formation for your enterprise.
- DMS provides streaming data processing. For more information, see
What is ETL?
- A variety of scenarios: The streaming data processing feature can be applied to different scenarios. For example, you can develop real-time data warehouses, perform real-time join queries on multiple tables, upload and process real-time data, process real-time reports, separate business from computing, and troubleshoot business issues in real time.
- High efficiency and low latency: You can use DTS to obtain and write data. Distributed concurrent read and write operations are supported. The speed of obtaining and writing data is faster than that by using Flink. DTS also improves data accuracy.
- DMS provides visualized data development. For more information, see Overview.
- Hybrid orchestration: You can create a task flow that has various database types. This meets the requirements for complex workflows.
- Complex task management and scheduling: DMS integrates the data permission management feature to manage and schedule complex tasks. This improves the security of data development.
- Robust O&M mechanism: DMS provides multi-dimensional O&M capabilities by supporting features such as task operation logs, data lineage management, and monitoring.
Real-time data transmission
- Multiple data transmission methods: The real-time data transmission feature of DTS provides the following data transmission methods: data migration, data synchronization, and data subscription. This meets various business requirements.
- High performance: A distributed integration architecture is supported. This resolves the bottlenecks of single-instance database services. In addition, DMS provides the throttling feature to protect data sources as needed.
- Simple O&M: DMS provides features such as performance monitoring, end-to-end diagnosis, and alerts to simplify O&M.
- Flexible scheduling: You can configure scheduling properties as needed. The minimum recurrence of data transmission can be set to 5 minutes.