This topic describes how to upgrade the RDS edition of an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance that runs MySQL 5.7 or MySQL 8.0 from the Basic Edition to the High-availability Edition. The upgrade increases the reliability of your database service.
In the High-availability Edition, your database system consists of a primary RDS instance and a secondary RDS instance. These instances work in a high availability architecture. The High-availability Edition is suitable for more than 80% of business scenarios. For more information, see RDS High-availability Edition.
For more information about the fee that you need to pay for the upgrade, see Specification change fees.
If your RDS instance runs MySQL 5.7 on RDS Basic Edition with standard SSDs, you can change the storage type of the instance from standard SSDs to local SSDs when you upgrade the RDS edition of your RDS instance to the High-availability Edition.
- The upgrade may trigger a data migration at the underlying layer. This data migration
may require a few minutes. After the data migration finishes, a switchover of your
workloads is triggered at the switching time that you specify. During the switchover,
a network interruption that lasts about 30 seconds occurs. Make sure that your application
is configured to automatically reconnect to your RDS instance.
Note The endpoints of your RDS instance remain unchanged after the upgrade.
- After the upgrade is complete, you cannot downgrade the RDS edition of your RDS instance to the Basic Edition.
- Your RDS instance runs MySQL 5.7 or MySQL 8.0 on RDS Basic Edition. You can log on to the ApsaraDB RDS console and go to the Basic Information page of your RDS instance to view the RDS edition of your RDS instance.
- The minor engine version of your RDS instance must be 20201031 or later. For more
information about how to update the minor engine version, see Update the minor engine version of an ApsaraDB RDS for MySQL instance.
Note If your RDS instance runs MySQL 5.7 on RDS Basic Edition with standard SSDs and you upgrade your RDS instance to run MySQL 5.7 on RDS High-availability Edition with local SSDs, your RDS instance does not need to meet this prerequisite.
- Visit the RDS instance list, select a region above, and click the target instance ID.
- In the Configuration Information section of the Basic Information page, click Change Specifications.
- In the dialog box that appears, select Upgrade and click Next step. This step is required only for subscription RDS instances.
- Configure the following parameters.
Parameter Description Edition Select High-availability. Storage Type Optional. Select Local SSD to change the storage type to local SSDs.Note This parameter is supported only by RDS instances that run MySQL 5.7 on RDS Basic Edition. Switching Time Specify the time at which a switchover of your workloads is triggered. Valid values:
- Switch Immediately After Data Migration
- Switch Within Maintenance Window
- Read and select Terms of Service, click Pay Now, and then complete the payment.
|Change instance configuration||Changes the specifications of an ApsaraDB RDS instance.|