The Java Virtual Machine (JVM) monitoring feature allows you to monitor key JVM metrics, including the metrics related to the heap memory, non-heap memory, direct buffer, memory-mapped buffer, garbage collections (GCs), and JVM threads. This topic describes the JVM monitoring feature and shows you how to view the JVM metrics.
Go to the JVM monitoring tab
- Log on to the ARMS console .
- In the left-side navigation pane, choose . In the top navigation bar, select a region.
- On the Applications page, click the name of the application that you want to manage.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Application Details.
- On the Application Details page, click the instance that you want to view in the left-side pane, and then click
the JVM monitoring tab on the right side.
View the JVM metrics
On the JVM monitoring tab, you can view the time series curves for the instantaneous GC count, instantaneous GC time consumption, heap memory details, metadata details, non-heap memory details, direct buffer details, and JVM thread count.
- You can click Instantaneous or Accumulated in the upper-right corner of the Instantaneous Count / 1 Min and Instantaneous Duration / 1 Min charts to switch between different curves. You can view the time series curves for the instantaneous GC count, accumulated GC count, instantaneous GC time consumption, and accumulated GC time consumption.
- You can click the name of a metric such as FullGC Count on a chart to show or hide
Note Each chart must contain at least one visible metric. Therefore, if only one metric is displayed in a chart, you cannot hide this metric.
- You can click the View API icon in the upper-right corner of the Heap Memory Details / 1 Min, Metadata Details / 1 Min, Non-Heap Memory / 1 Min, Direct Buffer / 1 Min, and JVM Threads / 1 Min charts to view the detailed information about the APIs that are related to the metrics.
The JVM monitoring feature can be used to monitor the following metrics:
- Instantaneous and accumulated GC details
- Number of full heap GCs (full GCs)
- Number of GCs in the young generation
- Time consumed for full GCs
- Time consumed for GCs in the young generation
- Heap memory details
- Total heap memory
- Amount of heap memory in the old generation in bytes
- Amount of heap memory in the young generation (survivor space) in bytes
- Amount of heap memory in the young generation (eden space) in bytes
- Amount of committed heap memory in bytes
- Metaspace details
Size of metaspace in bytes
- Non-heap memory details
- Amount of committed non-heap memory in bytes
- Initial amount of non-heap memory in bytes
- Maximum amount of non-heap memory in bytes
- Direct buffer details
- Total direct buffer in bytes
- Used direct buffer in bytes
- JVM thread details
- Total number of threads
- Number of deadlocked threads
- Number of new threads
- Number of blocked threads
- Number of runnable threads
- Number of terminated threads
- Number of threads in the timed waiting state
- Number of waiting threads