After a domain name expires, a 30-day grace period is provided for renewal. When the grace period ends, the domain name enters the redemption period. Domain names with different suffixes have different redemption periods. You need to pay a high price to redeem your domain name within the redemption period. This topic describes how to redeem a domain name.
- China Internet Network Information Center (CCNIC) domain names, such as .cn, .中国,
.公司, .网络, and .co domain names, have a 14-day redemption period. After the redemption
period ends, the domain names are available to the public for registration.
Note .cn domain names include second-level domain names such as .com.cn and .gov.cn. The .gov.cn domain names have the same redemption period and redemption regulations as .cn domain names. However, the .gov.cn domain names have strict requirements on the subjects who register such domain names.
- Internationalized domain names (such as .com, .net, .biz, .cc, .tv, .org, .me, .so, .tel, .mobi, .asia, .name, and .info) have a 29-day redemption period. If internationalized domain names within an Alibaba Cloud account are not redeemed within the redemption period, the domain names enter a five-day waiting-for-deletion period. During this period, you cannot renew or redeem the domain names. The domain names are deleted after the period ends. After the five-day waiting-for-deletion period ends, the domain names are available to the public for registration.
- If .hk domain names are not renewed within the 28-day grace period for renewal, the domain names enter a 59-day redemption period. After the redemption period ends, these domain names are deleted.
- The redemption period may be inaccurate by up to 24 hours. This error may be caused by reasons such as system running queues and time differences at the domain name registries. You can check the actual status of domain names in the Alibaba Cloud Domains console.
- You can check whether a domain name is in the redemption period based on the status displayed in the Alibaba Cloud Domains console. The expiration time and status of a domain name in the WHOIS output may be different from the expiration time and status of the domain name in the Alibaba Cloud Domains console. These differences may be caused by auto-renewal and transfer. Therefore, the information in the WHOIS output can be used for reference only.
- After a domain name expires and enters the redemption period, you can retain this domain name within your Alibaba Cloud account, transfer this domain name to a dedicated Alibaba Cloud account for centralized management, or add the domain name to the list of pre-released domain names and offer the list to the public for bidding. If you do not redeem your domain name within the redemption period, you lose the ownership of the domain name, and the successful bidder during the pre-release obtains the ownership of the domain name.
- When a domain name enters the redemption period, the costs of redeeming the domain name from the domain name registry are much higher than those of registering or renewing the domain name. For more information about the redemption prices of domain names, see Domain name fees.
- During the redemption period, DNS resolution is suspended. After the domain name is redeemed, DNS resolution is immediately resumed. However, you must reset the DNS records of the domain name. In most cases, the resolution recovery requires 24 to 48 hours to take effect.
- Log on to the Alibaba Cloud Domains console.
- On the Domain Name List page, click the To Be Redeemed tab.Note If you cannot find your domain name on the To Be Redeemed tab, the domain name may have been deleted by the domain name registry after the redemption period ended.
- Find the domain names that you want to redeem and click Bulk Redeem
- Complete the domain name redemption as prompted.