You can create a custom image based on an ECS instance, namely, you can fully copy all its disks and pack the data into an image.
During this process, snapshots are automatically created for all disks of the instance, including the system disk and data disks. All the created snapshots compose a new custom image. See the following picture.
In addition, you can create a custom image based on the snapshot. See create a custom image by using a snapshot.
- To guarantee data security, make sure that you have deleted all the confidential data in the ECS instance before creating a custom image.
- During creation, do not change the status of the instance. Do not stop, start, or restart the instance.
- If your custom image contains data disks, new data disks along with the ECS instance are created together. The data on the data disk duplicates the data disk snapshot in your custom image according to the mount device.
- You can export custom images that contain data disks.
- You cannot use a custom image which contains data disks to replace the system disk.
- Log on to the ECS console.
- Select a region.
- Click Instances from the left-side navigation pane.
- Find the target instance, and click .
- Specify the name and description.
- Click Create.
The image is available after all snapshots of all disks have been created.
After creating the custom image, you may want to create a custom image by using a snapshot.