Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is used for secure communication over networks. It provides reinforced protection for content accelerated by Alibaba Cloud Content Delivery Network (CDN). Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) secures the data transmitted between clients and servers while Alibaba Cloud CDN accelerates content delivery. This topic describes how different types of SSL certificate are validated and configured.
Alibaba Cloud CDN supports only SSL certificates in the
PEM format. If your certificate is not in the
PEM format, convert it to the PEM format first. For more information, see Convert certificate formats.
HTTPS secure acceleration is a value-added service. After you enable HTTPS, you are charged based on the number of HTTPS requests. You cannot use CDN data transfer plans to offset the fees. For more information about the pricing of HTTPS secure acceleration, see Pricing of value-added services.
- A domain validated (DV) certificate has a safety lock. It only verifies the ownership of a domain. A DV certificate verifies the ownership of a domain name by verifying the specified file of the domain name or the TXT record of the domain name.
- An organization validated (OV) certificate is a standard SSL certificate that verifies the identity of an organization. An OV certificate provides more trust than a DV certificate, but the validation process is stricter and longer. OV certificates are typically used in the e-commerce, education, and gaming sectors.
- An extended validation (EV) certificate follows the guidelines maintained by the Certification Authority Browser Forum, also known as the CA/Browser Forum. EV certificates are SSL certificates of the highest security level. Each EV certificate is identified by an object identifier (OID), which is a complete enterprise name. EV certificates are widely used in sectors such as financial transactions and online banking.
- Log on to the Alibaba Cloud CDN console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Domain Names.
- On the Domain Names page, find the target domain name and click Manage.
- In the left-side navigation pane of the specified domain, click HTTPS.
- In the HTTPS Certificate section, click Modify.
- In the Modify HTTPS Settings dialog box, turn on the HTTPS Secure Acceleration switch and set the required parameters.
After you enable HTTPS secure acceleration, the system displays a message, stating that HTTPS secure acceleration is charged independently. Confirm whether to enable this feature based on your actual needs. For more information about the pricing of HTTPS secure acceleration, see Pricing of value-added services.
Parameter Description Certificate Source
- Alibaba Cloud Security Certificate
You can apply for certificates of various providers and types in the SSL Certificates Service console.
- Custom Certificate (Certificate+Private Key)
If you cannot find a suitable certificate, upload a custom certificate. To upload a custom certificate, you need to enter a certificate name and upload the certificate content and private key. The uploaded certificate will be saved to SSL Certificates Service. You can check the certificate on the SSL Certificates page.
- Free Certificate
Free certificates are used only for HTTPS secure acceleration. You cannot manage free certificates or view their public or private keys in the SSL Certificates Service console.
- Free certificates are typically issued within one to two business days. During this
period of time, you can choose to upload a custom certificate or select a certificate
from Alibaba Cloud SSL Certificates Service.
Note After you submit the application, the certificate may be issued within several hours or two business days. The time it takes depends on the verification process required by the certificate authority.
- Free certificates are valid for one year and are automatically renewed upon expiration.
- You do not need to apply for a new certificate each time you enable HTTPS secure acceleration. You must apply for a new certificate only if the current one has expired.
- Free certificates are typically issued within one to two business days. During this period of time, you can choose to upload a custom certificate or select a certificate from Alibaba Cloud SSL Certificates Service.
You can switch between an Alibaba Cloud certificate, a custom certificate, and a free certificate as needed.
Certificate Name When you set Certificate Source to SSL Certificates Service or Custom Certificate (Certificate+Private Key), you must specify the certificate name. Certificate (Public Key) When you set Certificate Source to Custom Certificate (Certificate+Private Key), this parameter is required. For more information, see the Certificate (Public Key) below the PEM Encoding Reference field. Private Key When you set Certificate Source to Custom Certificate (Certificate+Private Key), this parameter is required. For more information, see the Private Key below the PEM Encoding Reference field.
- Alibaba Cloud Security Certificate
- Click OK.