Data Transmission Service (DTS) provides a simple and easy-to-use data migration feature. You only need to perform simple operations in the DTS console to configure the entire migration task.
This topic only provides a general procedure for configuring a data migration task. However, the procedure will vary according to the data source. For more information about how to configure data migration tasks for specific data sources, see Overview.
Prepare database accounts
When configuring a migration task, you must provide the accounts for accessing the source database and destination database.
- Log on to the DTS console.
- In the left-side navigation pane, click Data Migration.
- At the top of the Migration Tasks page, select the region where the destination database resides.
- In the upper-right corner, click Create Migration Task.
- Specify a task name and the connection details of the source database and destination database.
- Click Set Whitelist and Next.
Note If the source database or destination database is in an Alibaba Cloud instance, the IP address of the DTS server is automatically added to the whitelist. This ensures that the DTS server can connect to the instance.
- Specify migration types and objects to be migrated.
Note If the migrated object has different names in the source instance and destination instance, you can use the object name mapping function provided by DTS. For more information, see Object name mapping.
- Click Precheck.
- A precheck is performed before the migration task starts. The migration task only starts after the precheck succeeds.
- If the precheck fails, click the icon next to each failed check item to view the related details. Fix the issues as instructed and run the precheck again.
- After the precheck is passed, click Next.
- On the Confirm Settings page, specify Channel Specification, read the Data Transmission Service (Pay-As-You-Go) Service Terms, and then select the check box to agree to the terms.
- Click Buy and Start to start the migration task.
- Full data migration
Do not manually stop a migration task. We recommend that you do not interrupt the migration task because the system may fail to migrate the full data of the database. Wait until the migration task stops when it is complete.
- Incremental data migration
An incremental data migration task does not automatically stop when the migration is complete. In this case, you need to manually stop the migration task.
- When the task progress bar displays Incremental Data Migration and The migration task is not delayed, stop writing to the source database for a few minutes. At this time, the progress bar will display the delay time of the incremental data migration.
- After the status of incremental data migration changes to The migration task is not delayed, manually stop the migration task.
- Full data migration