EventBridge is a serverless event bus service provided by Alibaba Cloud. EventBridge can be accessed from other Alibaba Cloud services, custom applications, and software-as-a-service (SaaS) applications in a standard and centralized manner. In addition, EventBridge can route events between these services and applications based on the standard CloudEvents 1.0 specification. You can use EventBridge to build loosely coupled and distributed event-driven architectures.
The following terms are used in EventBridge:
- Event: a data record of status changes.
- Event source: the producer of an event.
- Event target: the consumer of an event.
- Event bus: the receiver of an event. An event bus stores events.
- Event rule: monitors a specific type of events. When a matched event occurs, the event is routed to the event target that is associated with the event rule.
For more information about the terms of EventBridge, see Terms.
Event flow in EventBridge
The following figure shows the event flow in EventBridge.
- Event source: publishes events that are generated by Alibaba Cloud services, custom applications, and SaaS applications to the event bus.
- EventBridge: stores and routes received events to the event target based on the event rule.
- Event target: consumes events.
- Build an event-driven architecture: EventBridge allows you to filter and publish events without the need to perform operations on the event sources.
- Decouple microservices: EventBridge enables asynchronous message-based communication between different systems to decouple interdependent services.
- Run execution logic in an asynchronous manner: EventBridge allows you to run execution logic in an asynchronous manner. This reduces the wait time and increases the system throughput.
- Trace status changes: EventBridge can act as a central node to receive the status changes of all applications. Then, EventBridge routes the changes to services that need to be aware of these changes.
EventBridge supports the following features:
EventBridge provides the following benefits:
EventBridge is free of charge during the public preview. For more information, see Billing.