This topic describes how to upgrade a VPN gateway. After you upgrade a VPN gateway to the latest version, you can use more features. These features include BGP dynamic routing and Dead Peer Detection (DPD).
- It takes about 10 minutes to upgrade a VPN gateway. The VPN gateway remains unavailable during the upgrade process. Connections that are established to the VPN gateway are also interrupted. We recommend that you upgrade a VPN gateway during a network maintenance window to avoid service interruptions.
- If multiple CIDR blocks are specified for an IPsec-VPN connection and the IKE version is IKE V1, you must change IKE V1 to IKE V2 or create an IPsec-VPN connection for each of the CIDR blocks. Otherwise, the upgrade will fail.
- You can check whether your VPN gateway is already upgraded to the latest version based
on the status of the Upgrade button.
- If your VPN gateway uses the latest version, the Upgrade button is dimmed and unavailable. If you move the pointer over the Upgrade button, the console prompts that the VPN gateway is already upgraded to the latest
Newly created VPN gateways use the latest version by default.
- If the Upgrade button is not dimmed, you can click it to upgrade the VPN gateway. For more information
about how to upgrade a VPN gateway, see Upgrade.
If your VPN gateway was created before March 21, 2019, the routes of the VPN gateway cannot be converted to the latest policy-based routes during the upgrade. After the VPN gateway is upgraded, you must configure routes for the VPN gateway to ensure network connectivity. For more information, see Route overview.
If your VPN gateway was created after March 21, 2019, you do not need to configure routes after you upgrade the VPN gateway.
- If your VPN gateway uses the latest version, the Upgrade button is dimmed and unavailable. If you move the pointer over the Upgrade button, the console prompts that the VPN gateway is already upgraded to the latest version.
- Log on to the VPN gateway console.
- In the top navigation bar, select the region of the VPN gateway.
- On the VPN Gateways page, find the VPN gateway that you want to upgrade and click its ID.
- On the details page of the VPN gateway, click Upgrade.
- In the Upgrade VPN Gateway dialog box, read and accept the upgrade agreement, and then click OK.
After you click OK, the system starts to upgrade the VPN gateway. Wait until the upgrade is completed.