A virtual private cloud (VPC) peering connection is a private network connection between two VPCs. You can enable two VPCs to communicate with each other by establishing a VPC peering connection. You can create a VPC peering connection between VPCs that belong to the same Alibaba Cloud account (same-account) or different accounts (cross-account). You can also create VPC peering connections between VPCs that belong to the same region (intra-region) or different regions (inter-region).
Feature release and supported regions
|Asia Pacific||China (Qingdao), China (Beijing), China (Zhangjiakou), China (Hohhot), China (Ulanqab), China (Hangzhou), China (Shanghai), China (Nanjing - Local Region), China (Shenzhen), China (Heyuan), China (Guangzhou), China (Chengdu), China (Hong Kong), Japan (Tokyo), South Korea (Seoul), Singapore, Australia (Sydney), Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur), Indonesia (Jakarta), Philippines (Manila), Thailand (Bangkok), and India (Mumbai)|
|Europe & Americas||Germany (Frankfurt), UK (London), US (Silicon Valley), and US (Virginia)|
Requester and accepter
- When you create a VPC peering connection, one VPC serves as the requester and the other VPC serves as the accepter. The VPC that sends requests is the requester and the VPC that receives requests is the accepter. The requester and the accepter are only used to control how a peering connection is established. After a VPC peering connection is established, both the requester and the accepter can send and receive data.
- For a same-account VPC peering connection, the system automatically accepts the connection request from the requester and establishes a connection. The accepter does not need to accept the connection request.
- For a cross-account VPC peering connection, the accepter can accept or reject the connection request. The VPC peering connection is activated only when the accepter accepts the connection request.
- The requester and the accepter can belong to the same region or different regions.
Status of a VPC peering connection
|Creating||The status after the requester sends a connection request.|
|Accepting||The status when the connection is waiting to be accepted by the accepter.|
|Updating||The status after the accepter accepts the connection request.|
|Activated||The status after the VPC peering connection is activated.|
|Rejected||The status after the accepter rejects the connection request.|
|Expired||The status after the connection request remains pending for more than seven days.|
|Deleting||The status when the VPC peering connection is being deleted.|
|Deleted||The status after the VPC peering connection is deleted.|
Billing and pricing
You are not charged for intra-region VPC peering connections. You are charged data transfer fees for inter-region VPC peering connections. The billing is managed by Cloud Data Transfer (CDT). For more information, see What is CDT?.
- Same-account and intra-region VPC peering connections
- Same-account and inter-region VPC peering connections
- Cross-account and intra-region VPC peering connections
- Cross-account and inter-region VPC peering connections
- If the same VPC exists in two peering connections, the peers of the VPC cannot communicate with each other.
- Assume that three VPCs named VPC1, VPC2, and VPC3 are created. A VPC peering connection is established between VPC1 and VPC2. A VPC peering connection is also established between VPC2 and VPC3. However, VPC1 cannot communicate with VPC3 through VPC2.
- A VPC peering connection is established between VPC1 and VPC2. VPC2 is also connected to a data center through a virtual border router (VBR). However, VPC1 cannot communicate with the data center through VPC2.
- VPC peering connections do not support IPv6.
- Before you use VPC peering to connect different VPCs, make sure that the CIDR blocks to be connected do not overlap.
|The maximum number of VPC peering connections supported by each VPC||10|
|The maximum number of VPC peering connections supported by each Alibaba Cloud account in each region||20|
|The maximum bandwidth supported by cross-border connections||1024 Mbps|
|The maximum bandwidth supported by inter-region connections||1024 Mbps|