By default, the validity period of an SSL certificate that is issued by a certificate authority (CA) is one year. To extend the validity period of a certificate, you must renew the certificate within 30 calendar days before it expires. To prevent your business from being affected in case you forget to renew your certificate, Certificate Management Service provides the certificate hosting feature. If you enable this feature for a certificate, the system automatically applies for a new certificate when the certificate is about to expire.
Before the certificate hosting feature is provided, you can renew a certificate only within 30 calendar days before it expires. The certificate hosting feature allows you to automate the timely renewal of a certificate before it expires. The feature also provides dedicated technical support.
You can enable hosting for a certificate when you apply for the certificate. This way, Alibaba Cloud automatically activates an associated certificate for the hosted certificate whose status changes to Pending Expiration within 30 or 15 calendar days before it expires. This prevents your business from being interrupted in case you forget to renew the certificate.
- The remaining validity period of a certificate of some types cannot be added to its
associated certificate. If you enable hosting for a certificate of these types, Alibaba
Cloud automatically submits an application for an associated certificate within 15
calendar days before the hosted certificate expires. The following types of certificates
- Uploaded certificates
- DigiCert DV wildcard certificates
- The certificate hosting feature does not automatically install associated certificates on your web servers. After you obtain an associated certificate that is issued in automatic mode for a hosted certificate, you must manually install the certificate on your web server under the guidance of dedicated customer service staff to replace the hosted certificate.
Automatic adding of remaining validity periods
The certificate hosting feature automatically adds the remaining validity period of a hosted certificate to the associated certificate. The expiration time of the associated certificate is one year later than the expiration time of the hosted certificate. For example, if a hosted certificate whose validity period is one year and expires on June 1, 2022, Alibaba Cloud automatically applies for a new certificate when the hosted certificate is due to expire. After the new certificate is issued, its expiration time is June 1, 2023.
- The certificate hosting feature automatically applies for a new certificate to extend the service life of a certificate. The feature ensures the timely renewal of a certificate in case you forget to renew the certificate in a timely manner.
- If the domain name bound to a certificate belongs to the Alibaba Cloud account that you use to apply for the certificate and the information that you use for the application is still valid, the certificate hosting feature automatically applies for a new certificate and completes the issuance. You do not need to manually renew the certificate or submit a certificate application. If the preceding conditions are not met, Alibaba Cloud contacts you to help you apply for a new certificate and complete the issuance.
- The certificate hosting feature provides online instructions to install a certificate. This can help enterprises that do not have technical personnel and individuals install certificates.